Red-headed Woodpeckers at Hickey's Creek

  • Bob
    Message 1 of 2 , Oct 7, 2008
      I went over to HC Saturday morning to look around. Catbirds and Brown
      Thrashers have arrived. Highlight was 1 adult and 2 juvenile
      red-headed woodpeckers on the trail south from the bridge. I just had
      one good look at the adult but the 2 young birds were chasing each
      other and in view for close to 1/2 an hour. Throw in a couple of scrub
      jays (one with an orange band on the left leg) and it was a good
      morning. Only warblers were 1 Prairie and 1 N. Parula.
      Bob
    • Bob
      Message 2 of 2 , Oct 7, 2008
        Tuesday, October 07, 2008 3:37:40 PM
        From: Dena and John Temple

        Sorry for the late post -- limited Internet access on vacation. My
        husband and I vacationed last week in the Fort Myers area. We've
        birded Ding Darling and Corkscrew before but visited other area
        hotspots for the first time.

        We had a very similar experience at Hickey's Creek last Monday a.m.
        along the "dry" side of Hickey's Creek trail. We first ran into 4 juv.
        & 2 adult Red-headed WPs, then a short time later had 3 scrub jays.
        Throw in a couple of Yellow-throated Warblers, several gnatcatchers
        and a lot of really cool butterflies, and we had a very good morning.

        Highlights from Wednesday's trip to Ding Darling included all the
        usual waders incl. Wood Stork (flyover only), Pileated WP, catbird,
        and a curious juv. Yellow-crowned Night-Heron with a crab so big, I
        still don't know how he swallowed it!

        Thursday took us to Babcock-Webb WMA, where we got almost all the
        target species for the site: Limpkin by the entrance pond, Comm.
        Moorhen, 3 Red-cockaded WP (lifer), Brown-headed Nuthatch, Sandhill
        Crane, Palm Warblers galore, No. Parula, Am. Redstart, Red-eyed and
        White-eyed Vireos, Baltimore Oriole, Pied-billed Grebe, E. Meadowlark,
        and lots of gators. What a cool place.

        Many thanks to my "old" friend Judy Harvey of Cape Coral, who provided
        lots of info on local hotspots and points of interest. I wished we'd
        had time to get to them all! We'll just have to come back...

        Good birding,
        Dena & John Temple
        Atlantic Highlands, NJ