Gull-billed Terns & Gray Kingbirds - Cockroach Bay Road - also kingfishers

  • Ken Blackshaw
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 2, 2008
      Good Morning All,

      This is a follow-on to Brian Ahern's post of July 27.

      The Englewood Birders went up to Cockroach Bay Road arriving about 8 a.m.
      yesterday, August 1.

      We found a young Gull-billed Tern working the pond that is just to the west
      of the manufactured home park. Possibly had an adult as well but that bird
      didn't hang around. Flew off to the north. There was a nice Forster's Tern
      also over that pond for comparison of body shape and behavior.

      We went north on Gulf City Road and were quite impressed with the huge
      impoundments on both sides. Too bad they are all fenced off and private but
      there are several spots where good viewing is possible.

      Along that road we had at least ten Gray Kingbirds just after the curve to
      the east.

      Near the boat launching area on the bay we had two very vocal Belted
      Kingfishers.

      On the sod fields near the beginning of the road there were hundreds of
      Cattle Egrets as well as a single Roseate Spoonbill.

      Near the Sarasota Public Library at the Celery Fields we had a very
      cooperative Swallow-tailed Kite. Fortunately that is a very long stop light
      there and we got to enjoy it very nicely before we finally had to start
      moving.

      Ken Blackshaw -- (Better, Better & Better)
      Amateur Radio W1NQT (Never Quits Talking)
      Englewood on Florida's SW Coast