RE: [SWFLBirdline] Flycatcher, Eagles, and owls

  • Debbie Norris
    Message 1 of 4 , Apr 25, 2008
      Hi Charlie and all,

      Yes, this description fits my flycatcher exactly!
      "A treetop hunter of deciduous forests and suburban areas, the Great Crested Flycatcher is
      easier to hear than to see. The only eastern flycatcher that nests in cavities, it often
      includes snakeskin in the nest lining."

      I have searched for many minutes on several occasions to see this bird.  I hear him, but can not
      see him.  I just know that his voice is singing somewhere high in the trees of our back yard.

      We have a trunk of a King Sego Palm in our yard, with a large hole in the trunk, near the top.  It is
      quite large, and I look often to see if there is a nest.

      Owls:  a pair of Great Horned Owls have returned, we hear and see them often.

      The eagles:  Now THEY are truely magnificant.  The parents have 2 children, (excuse me for not)
      recalling what the fledglins are called (I am tired after 3-14 shifts in a row)!, but, they are growing
      fast, almost as tall as the parents.  They have a molted white head, black tail feathers, and love
      to fly and talk!  I could spend all day watching them.

      Thanks for your help with my flycatcher!

      Deb

      Debbie Norris
      Independent Longaberger Home Consultant®
      Shop with me on-line for Baskets, Pottery, Wrought Iron or Home Decor items
      239-549-7009  Basketdeb@...
      or Longaberger.com/deborahnorris

      To: basketdeb@...; SWFLBirdline@yahoogroups.com
      From: anhinga42@...
      Date: Fri, 25 Apr 2008 07:14:35 -0400
      Subject: RE: [SWFLBirdline] Flycatcher

      Hi Debbie and All,

      I would also check/compare the vocalization of Great Crested Flycatcher at the Cornell site, as that is the most likely (and very common this time of year through fall) flycatcher of Myiarchus genus (tyrant flycatcher family) in our area, and the descriptions you gave fit that bird as well.  I would describe their calls as anything from a rolling, course weep, to wirp, to wip, (or the same sounds with a “kr” instead of a “w”, as Sibley’s guide describes it as krrreeep) with many variations mixed in while it is vocalizing.  I have even heard/seen one that nested in my yard a few years back singing a low volume song much like a Catbird!  It can be found in developed backyard habitats, as well as hardwood hammocks, gardens, mangroves, etc.  Nutting’s is only known as a vagrant in the southwest US, as its range is from Mexico down into Central America.

      http://www.birds. cornell.edu/ AllAboutBirds/ BirdGuide/ Great_Crested_ Flycatcher. html

      anhinga42@embarqmai l.com