SRQ Bird Alerts 11 February 2008

  • SRQ Bird Alerts
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 11, 2008
      11 February - Dave Smith, Margaret Dunson, and I had a wonderful day out at Babcock-Webb WMA in Punta Gorda today. Eastern Towhees, E. Meadowlarks, Pine Warblers, and Red-winged Blackbirds were all lustily singing away at the entrance. At the first bridge on Tuckers Grade we picked up a Limpkin, and then Brown-headed Nuthatches and a Bobcat shortly after that on the main drag. On Oilwell Grade, we ran into our first Eastern Bluebirds, who were all in nice plumage, and several large flocks of Pine Warblers. After making a right at the Y turnoff and about 200 yards down Tram Grade, just before a dirt road on the right and before A2, we had our best birding. We first spotted three No. Flickers. Getting out of the car, we realized that there were numerous other birds there as well. We soon heard the Red-cockaded Woodpecker, and got great looks at him as he hunted from tree to tree. I can see from my photos of the RCW that the left tarsus is silver-banded. However, I can not make out any writing on the band. We also saw at least a half dozen N. Flickers, a Red-bellied WP, Bluebirds, and more Pine Warblers in that lovely mixed flock. Just after the RCW flew out, Margaret and her sharp eyes spied a Grasshopper Sparrow. Things were really getting exciting! We continued down Tram Grade, and shortly after turning that first right where the road runs between the canals, I spied an Am. Bittern on the right, who was not the least bit deterred from his hunting by the sound of our car. We watched the whole scene play out, and I’ve enclosed a picture of the bird with his unfortunate victim. We capped off the day by making a stop on Colony Point Drive to see the Burrowing Owls, who never fail to delight.  Susan Daughtrey  Englewood, Charlotte County  susansd@...

      9 February - There were 2 Lesser Black-backed Gulls at South Lido Park at 4 PM today (2/09/2008) mixed in a flock of 50-60 Herring gulls.  Bob Cameron  Sarasota   bobcameron2@...

      8 February - Two owlets in the crotch of a pine tree on McCall road near First and Bay in Englewood.  Mother great horned busy feeding her brood.  Right now just little white fuzzy things.  Gatermater@...

      8 February - Seventy WHITE PELICANS were filling the pond adjacent to the Yoga studio on Coburn R. at the entrance to the industrial area south of Palmer Blvd. This is at the other end of Palmer Blvd.from the gazebo at Celery Fields. At Corkscrew yesterday, Marjorie and I had four male and two female PAINTED BUNTINGS in view at the same time! They were feeding on the ground under the seed feeders.  Mark Davis,Longboat Key msdavismd@...

      8 February - The scissor-tail flycatcher is still out at the Bethel Mennonite church east of 75 on Fruitville.  I saw him in the cow pasture about 10:30am and on the fence between the pasture and the driveway about 11:30 am.  I saw a sora in the rail pond at the celery fields about 1:30 pm and 3 fulvous whistling-ducks about 2:00 pm on the near shore of the large open lake past the rail pond, the end closest to the pavillion.  They were with the black-bellied whistling ducks in the tall grass at the edge of the lake.  Valeri Ponzo

      Perhaps of interest:

      We have a female participant who was going to Costa Rica with our Venice Area Audubon Society trip that has taken ill. A spot is available. The trip leaves in two weeks.  We will be leaving Sarasota/Bradenton Airport at 6 AM on 2/23/08 and returning on 3/2/08 at 10:45 PM. We will be non-stop birding with a goal to see between 350-400 species. Our destinations will be Savegre, Chilamate, Cano Negro, and Puntarenas all birding hot spots. The cost of the trip including flight, hotel, meals, guides, ground transportation, boat transportation, and park entry fees is $2600. You need a passport to get into Costa Rica that does not expire within six months of your return. If you are interested please contact Barry Rossheim (941) 485-1328 as soon as possible.   Barry Rossheim  nethoppers@...

      Sarasota Audubon is pleased to to announce that our guest speaker for March 10th will be  Ken Meyers; recognized expert researcher on Swallow tailed kites. Ken has published many studies on the status, distribution and habitat of the Swallow tailed kite in Florida. Rick Greenspun

      Please send your input about rare and/or interesting bird sightings to: SRQbirdAlerts@...

      To CHANGE your address, use your OLD E-mail address to send an E-mail to the UNsubscribe address above and use your NEW E-mail address to send an E-mail to the subscribe address above.