SRQ Bird Alerts 17 January 2008

  • SRQ Bird Alerts
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 17, 2008
      17 January - There was an unusually large flock of Northern Gannets feeding close to shore this morning on the western side of  Manasota Key about 1/4 mile north of Englewood Chadwick Beach Park.  We often see several in the distance off-shore, but this morning they were very close to the beach and followed schools of fish up and down the beach numerous times.  At around 9:30 I counted a hundred or so mostly heading south, but then I noticed another group of 80 or so feeding together.  See attached photos (not attached) by Bill Dunson of a flock of about 60 birds and one bird in the process of plunge-diving.  Margaret Dunson  Englewood,FL  mkdunson@...

      17 January - Roseate Spoonbill was still around on LBK – Oceanside Golf Course in the ponds by the road – in with a about 6-8 Wood Storks on Friday and Saturday.  Also a dozen shovelers and 15 BWTeals…5 Moorhens,,,,4 Canada Geese.  4 mottleds…  Alexander Ellis   hellis@...

      Please send your input about rare and/or interesting bird sightings to: SRQbirdAlerts@...

      To CHANGE your address, use your OLD E-mail address to send an E-mail to the UNsubscribe address above and use your NEW E-mail address to send an E-mail to the subscribe address above.