SRQ Bird Alerts 26 October 2007

  • SRQ Bird Alerts
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 26, 2007
      26 October - Two Great Black-backed Gulls were atop the lightpoles above the small bridge prior to the Sunshine Skyway (Pinellas side) about 4 PM yesterday.  For the past several years this species has been regular at this location.  This morning there were ten Redheads at the duck pond prior to entering Fort DeSoto County Park.  Can winter be far away?  Ron Smith  St. Pete, FL  rsmith52@...

      26 October - Today, I found a Nashville Warbler on the edge of Phillippi Creek next to Pinecraft Park (in Sarasota). I first saw it on its own then, an hour later, Rick Greenspun and I saw it with two Tennessee Warblers. We haven’t been able to locate it since.  On Wednesday (Oct 24), Rick Greenspun found a Philadelphia Vireo in Pinecraft Park.  The Park has been quite active this past few days: 16 species of warblers (including an Orange-crowned), 5 species of vireos, a Wood Thrush, many Swainson’s Thrushes, several Rose-breasted Grosbeaks, Yellow-billed Cuckoos and both tanagers.  Jeanne Dubi—Sarasota  dubi@...

      26 October - Rick Greenspun and I birded Pinecraft Park in Sarasota today for several hours. Before Rick arrived, I found a Nashville Warbler along the creek, feeding in the low vegetation. When Rick got there, he managed to get a glimpse of the bird—especially the unbroken white eye ring. At that point it was in the company of a pair of Tennessee Warblers. We did not find it again.  In the woodland we had a nice number of birds, not as many as yesterday. Here’s a recap:
      Wood Thrush
      Swainson’s Thrushes
      Blue-headed Vireo
      White-eyed Vireo
      A pair of Hooded Warblers
      A female Black-throated Blue Warbler
      Many Pine Warblers
      Blackburnian Warbler
      Several Chestnut-sided Warblers
      Yellow-throated Warbler
      More Tennessee Warblers
      American Redstart (yellow)
      Ovenbirds
      Black and White Warbler singing away
      Several Rose-breasted Grosbeaks, one male in eclipse plumage
      Yellow-billed Cuckoos
      Unidentified empidonax flycatcher
      Along the playground near the creek:
      Indigo Buntings
      House Finches
      Palm Warblers

      Jeanne Dubi—Sarasota  dubi@...

      Pinecraft Park
      1420 Gilbert Avenue, Sarasota
      15 acres boating, fishing, picnicking, playground, recreational

      Please send your input about rare and/or interesting bird sightings to: SRQbirdAlerts@...

      To CHANGE your address, use your OLD E-mail address to send an E-mail to the UNsubscribe address above and use your NEW E-mail address to send an E-mail to the subscribe address above.