SRQ Bird Alerts 04 July 2007

  • SRQ Bird Alerts
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 4, 2007
      4 July - Sightings off Boca Grande
      Great birding today off Boca Grande! After snorkeling at the old trestle,
      which runs adjacent to the bridge over to Boca Grande, I observed a single
      White Morph Great Blue Heron looking down at me from the top of the trestle,
      and quickly snapped some pictures. We decided to run the boat over to the
      Bird Sanctuary island (26*47'23.78" N, 82*14'47.78" W), and found one lone
      Am. White Pelican in with several Brown Pelicans, Double-crested Cormorants,
      Laughing Gulls, Great and Snowy Egrets, one juvenile Reddish Egret, and a
      lone Am. Oystercatcher. Lots of Magnificent Frigatebirds were soaring over
      Charlotte Harbor, and Royal, Sandwich, Forster's, and Least Terns were doing
      their share of fishing. A Green Heron zipped by on our way home, adding a
      nice final touch to the trip. Happy Fourth, everybirdy!

      Susan Daughtrey  Englewood, FL  susansd@...

      Please send your input about rare and/or interesting bird sightings to: SRQbirdAlerts@...