FW: Beach Nesting Birds/dogs

    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 4 7:43 PM

      All,

      Received the following note from a fellow beach nesting bird monitor from another county.  Those interested in this topic may want to follow up.  I see an alarming number of dogs both on and off leash within the boundary of Little Estero Island CWA (Little Estero Lagoon) for the amount of time I am actually out there monitoring the Least Tern colony the past few years.  That tells me there is quite a bit of dog traffic in an area that is now posted for no dogs at all.  The colony has been about 100 pairs strong, and 3 of the past 4 years has been a total failure (2 failures due to weather and 1 unknown).

      Subject: Beach Nesting Birds/dogs

      You might already know but FWC posted a critical wildlife area at Little Estero. Important place for Beach Nesting Birds. As you know, dog owners might get upset. There was a very informative article in the paper and that paper has started a blog. http://www.news-press.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070329/NEWS0105/703290383/1007 . It might be really good if some local people would write in favor of the birds. Could you look into it? Can you forward to whoever you know who might help.

      We are facing similar issues in our area. Birds perceive dogs as predators and they will fly up even if the dog is not chasing them. We need to push for dog beaches in places unsuitable for bird nesting and no dogs on undeveloped barrier islands.