SRQ Bird Alerts 03 February 2007

  • SRQ Bird Alerts
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 3, 2007
      1.  3 February - Whooping Crane fatalities story at:  http://www.heraldtribune.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070203/BREAKING/70203001
      Alison Bishop

      2.  1 February - Thursday on the left side of the Birdwalk at Myakka River State Park, sitting atop a tall stalk of grass was a female Dickcissel.  She only showed up for about 30 seconds in the morning and did not reappear during the next three hours I was out there.  Three observers sighted it.  Last year in the early spring we had at least two Dickcissels, male and female, around the Birdwalk for several weeks.  Also, I sighted the first of the season Purple Martins.  Owen Comora

      3.  Correction - There is some debate now as to the ID of the sparrow seen at the Celery Fields. Due to the rusty brown flanks and the yellow at the base of the bill, it is now thought that the sparrow is just your garden variety swamp sparrow, not a white throated sparrow.  Rick Greenspun

      Please send your input about rare and/or interesting bird sightings to: SRQbirdAlerts@...