newbie question: is this a young blue heron?

  • Dave Lowell
    Message 1 of 3 , Aug 1, 2006
      Hello Florida Birders,

      During my family's visit to Longboat Key in late 2004, we were all
      amazed by the incredible bird life that was everywhere. Although we're
      not birders the likes of most of you, we were thrilled to see such
      different birds than we see in Northern California where we live.

      I was recently editing some of the video footage from that trip into a
      little home movie called "Birds of Longboat Key", and successfully
      managed to identify most of the birds that I had captured on video.
      However, I don't feel confident about one identification and thought I
      would ask the group's help.

      I have some lovely footage of a blue heron-like bird, hunting in the
      surf zone. In the movie, I labeled it a "Blue Heron", although it lacks
      the crest and multicolored plumage of the Great Blue Heron, seems larger
      than the Little Blue Heron, and doesn't seem to have the coloring of the
      Tri-colored Heron.

      Is there such a species as "Blue Heron" that is not a Great Blue Heron?
      Could it be a juvenile Great Blue? Could it be something else?

      I have captured one frame from the video and uploaded the photo of this
      bird to the group's photo album "Unknown bird":

      I would love your help putting to rest the mystery of this bird.

      Thank you!

      Dave

      --
      Dave Lowell
      MobiTV, Inc.
      Message 2 of 3 , Aug 2, 2006

        Dave’s photo shows an immature Reddish Egret.  While they are commonly seen in lagoon and other shallow water areas, I have often seen them foraging in the surf like the individual in Dave’s photo.  While it looks like this individual is stationary at the moment, hopefully Dave’s video captured some of the dancing and running around that is characteristic of a foraging Reddish Egret.

        http://ph.groups. yahoo.com/ group/SWFLBirdli ne/photos

        I would love your help putting to rest the mystery of this bird.

        Thank you!

        Dave

        --
        Dave Lowell
        MobiTV, Inc.
        dlowell@mobitv. com

      • Dave Lowell
        Message 3 of 3 , Aug 2, 2006
          Thank you Charlie for the authoritative identification. And yes, a few
          seconds after that frame of video, the Reddish Egret dashes into the
          surf and retrieves a small fish. It was amazing.

          Thanks again and happy birding,

          Dave

          --
          Dave Lowell