House Crows (Corvus splendens) - Nokomis

  • kenandcindy@copper.net
    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 7, 2006
      Hi all,

      We checked Nokomis Beach this morning for the first time in a couple years
      wondering if the House Crows were still about and hit the jackpot.

      The group quickly found four of them and got to appreciate their interesting
      experience and different calls.

      Then tragedy struck as one of the birds flew into a phone wire and fell to
      the pavement. It twitched for a few moments and then died. Its relatives
      were extremely agitated, flying back and forth above it.

      Thinking this might be a rare specimen worthy to be in a local museum
      collection we bagged it and dropped it off at Venice Audubon with Charlie
      Sample.

      Does anyone know where the closest museum collection of bird specimens is
      and if they might be interested in skinning a House Crow?

      Ken Blackshaw

      Englewood on Florida's SW Coast
    • Scizortail@aol.com
      Message 2 of 2 , Jul 7, 2006
        Hi Ken,

        Yes, it is a good specimen. Probably the closest collection is at Archbold Biological Station.

        Or you can call Andy Kratter at the state museum: (352) 392-3293

        Either institution should accept it gladly.

        Bruce

        Bruce H. Anderson
        Winter Park, Florida
        scizortail@...