early autumn migration

  • paul matthews
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 2, 2006
      Hi all in sunny Florida from us here in the hot and sweaty UK(and
      just a little depressed now that England are out of the world
      cup!).Once again we are finalising plans for our next vacation and I
      am happy to report we will again be visiting Sanibel.Last year we
      came in late October and I was fortunate to see quite a few
      interesting fall migrants.This time though we shall be arriving in
      early september.What kind of migrant birds am I likely to encounter
      on the island at this time of year?Is it too early for any
      good "falls" of birds at the lighthouse?
      Last year we stayed at Sanibel arms west condos on east gulf drive
      and I discovered a pair of Screech Owl roosting in a tree outside
      the rear of the condo.We are hoping to book that one again to see if
      they are still in the same area.I'm also keen to see burrowing
      Owls.I know they are usually to be found in Cape Coral but can
      anyone give me some more precise directions(off list),or can they be
      seen on the Island or in Ft Myers? Also is there a good spot to find
      Hummingbirds?
      Thanks in advance for any help you can offer,I'll probably post
      again just before we come to see if any groups are birding on the
      Island whilst I'm there.Maybe I could tag along?
      Paul
      Southampton,UK