Kentucky Warbler in Naples

  • Vincent Lucas
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 3, 2002
      Greetings:

      Naples seems to be the place for uncommon winter birds these days. This
      just in. If this proves to be true, this is a great bird for this time of
      the year. Read on. . . .

      "Hi Vince:

      I'm Alan Murray, a friend of Arthur and Anne Wilson [of the Caloosa Bird
      Club]. I live in Naples and I was at Sugden Regional Park today. I found
      a Kentucky Warbler between the second and third benches going from right
      to left. According to the Peterson warbler book, it seems like it
      shouldn`t be here now. I also found an Orange-crowned Warbler."

      Good Birding
      Alan Murray
      AMurrayM@...

      In Steveson & Anderson's magnum opus _ The Birdlife of Florida_, on page
      589 it states "occasionally seen in winter." There are winter records for
      Dade and Monroe Counties but not for Collier. This is a great find and
      one that someone needs to verify. Unfortunately, it can't be me because
      I'm going down to E.N.P. for a few days to see a Munia!

      BTW, you may remember, that this is the same park where a Franklin's Gull
      was seen during the Naples CBC by Hugh McGuiness back in late December
      2001. Here are directions to Sugden Regional Park in Naples:

      To reach Sugden Regional Park from I-75, take exit 15 and go south on
      County Road 951 aka Collier Blvd. 2 or 3 miles (I think) to Rattlesnake
      Hammock Road. Turn right on Rattlesnake Hammock until it ends at U.S.
      Rte.41. Turn right on U.S. Rte. 41 and go several blocks to an
      intersection which has Outer Drive going left and Lakewood Blvd. going
      right. Turn left onto Outer Drive and you will see the sign for Sugden
      Park.

      Also, intrepid David Thurston, another Naples birder, found these birds
      at the west end of Sugden:

      "Over the past several days, I have found, among some 55 species:

      Painted Bunting (male and female)
      Indigo Bunting (female)
      Common Ground Dove
      Brown Thrasher
      Merlin
      Sharp-shinned Hawk
      Cooper's Hawk
      Ruby-crowned Kinglet
      Prairie Warbler
      Pine Warbler
      Black & White Warbler
      Yellow-throated Warbler
      Herring Gull
      Brown Pelican
      Savannah Sparrow
      Common Snipe
      Herons, Egrets, Ibis, Wood Stork, Anhinga, etc.

      When entering the park, keep right and drive to the end of parking lot by
      grandstand. There is a paved trail that you can follow through varied
      habitats along the west side of Lake Avalon that provides very good
      birding early in the morning." -- David Thurston

      Good birding!

      Vincent Lucas
      Naples