SRQ Bird Alerts 07 May 2006

  • SRQ Bird Alerts
    Message 1 of 1 , May 7, 2006
      1. 6 May - Clewiston STA-5 open to birders on Saturday 20 May
      (Note: For those in Sarasota County, this is about a two hour drive)
      Thanks to some great efforts by members of the Hendry-Glades Audubon Society, the South Florida Water Management District once again will open up STA-5 to birders on Saturday, May 20th from 8:30 a.m.- noon or so. The intent of this outing is to help survey the birds to add data for a future checklist for the site and to also see what birding are breeding at STA-5. STA-5 is located south of Clewiston in eastern Hendry County on Saturday. Meet at STA-5 or carpool from the LaBelle McDonald's at 7 a.m. or the  Clewiston McDonald's at 7:45 a.m. To register: send an e-mail to Margaret England, at
      sta5birding@... with your name and contact information including an emergency cell number and the number in your party. You may also leave a message at (863) 674-0695 or (863) 517-0202.  Tour is subject to cancellation in case of inclement weather. Since this is entirely a walking tour, birders and photographers can go at their own pace. Folks are reminded to bring lots of water with them and to wear comfortable walking shoes. Sun screen is essential.  For maps and directions, go to:  http://tropicalaudubon.org/sta.html
      Once you're on that page, there are hyperlinks to maps and directions etc. half-way down the page. If someone needs driving directions from the Naples/Ft. Myers/Immokalee area, please contact me off list and I will be glad to help.
      Vincent Lucas
      vlucas@...  Naples, FL

      2. 5 May - Ft. DeSoto Park
      Mary Acken and I had Lincoln Sparrow and Connecticut Warbler at
      Fort DeSoto.  The Lincoln Sparrow was at the NW corner of the fence at the
      Mulberry tree (closest one to the parking lot), and the Connecticut was at
      the Circle Trail, East Beach woods.  In addition we had the usual warbler
      cohorts (12 species) seen over the past week - highest numbers were
      Blackpoll Warblers and Redstarts.  All-in-all a very pleasent day of
      birding.  Chris Rasmussen  Brandon
      cor@...

      3. 6 May - Englewood
      For those of you still looking for migrating passerines, be sure to
      look in silk oak trees.  They are blooming now and the birds love the
      pollen, nectar &/or insects attracted to the infloresences.  Last
      year's leaves have fallen and the new ones are still tiny making the
      warblers visible jewels flitting above.  We think silk oaks are almost
      as fine a magnet as mulberry trees.  We've had 10 species of warblers
      this week at our trees in Englewood, plus great crested flycatchers,
      yellow-billed cuckoos, as well as the common red-bellied woodpeckers,
      catbirds and mockingbirds.  We were out of town earlier, but we usually
      have rose-breasted grosbeaks, tanagers and orioles as well.
      Nighthawks are migrating through now as well.
      Happy birding---Rich and Anita Wilson
      ramassociates@...

      4. 6 May - Sarasota County
      I had at least six Parula Wablers in the trees in my yard this am.
      Longleaf Lane off Proctor 1 mile east of the Interstate.  Wilda  WQMeier@...

      SRQ Bird Alerts is brought to you by Peter Rice in
      association with the Sarasota Audubon Society.
      Visit them at
      www.SarasotaAudubon.org

      Please send any bird alerts input for the SRQ Bird Alerts E-mails  to:
      SRQbirdAlerts@...

      Should you NOT receive SRQ Bird Alerts for more than two weeks, you may need to
      re-subscribe by sending an E-mail to the address above.  We encourage you to
      forward the SRQ Bird Alerts E-mails to others and to encourage others to
      subscribe to our bird alerts E-mail list.

      SW Florida bird watching related links that may be of interest:

      Manatee Audubon Society
      http://www.manateeaudubon.org/
      Venice Audubon Society
      www.veniceaudubon.org
      Caloosa Bird Club (Ft. Myers, FL)
      http://www.caloosabirdclub.org/
      Peace River Audubon (Charlotte County, Florida)
      http://www.peaceriveraudubon.org/
      SW Florida Birdline
      http://groups.yahoo.com/group/SWFLBirdline/

      End of SRQ Bird Alert  E-mail