BIRDING FRIDAY AT BABCOCK-WEBB WMA, SANIBEL ISLAND LIGHTHOUSE AND FORT MYERS BEACH

  • Ralph Pike
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 29, 2006
      On Friday Phil Nye and I birded Babcock-Webb WMA, Sanibel Island Lighthouse, and Fort Myers Beach .  We started at Babcock-Webb (Exit 158 on I75, north of Fort Myers ) shortly after 7:00 AM .  We quickly found a Red-cockaded Woodpecker on one of the marked trees in the cluster on Oilwell Grade, which was fortunate as it was the only one we saw.  We did see 4 other woodpecker species; Downy, Red-bellied, Pileated, and Red-headed.  We also saw Eastern Towhees and a Yellow-billed Cuckoo.  We missed the Bachman’s Sparrow and the Brown-headed Nuthatch that were seen last weekend.

      Then we moved to the Lighthouse area of Sanibel Island .  It was 10:30 so we were a little late and only saw three warblers, Magnolia, Worm-eating and Blackpoll.  We also saw several more Yellow-billed Cuckoos, a pair of Catbirds, and a number of Barn Swallows.

      Our final stop on the way back to Naples was at Little Estero Lagoon on Fort Myers Beach .  Key find was a Whimbrel.  There were lots of Least Terns and two Black-bellied Plovers that were in breeding plumage.

      Good Birding.

      Ralph Pike
      Naples , FL