masters golf,and birds

  • paul matthews
    Message 1 of 2 , Apr 6, 2006
      Hi to you all in sunny florida,I'm sitting at home here in the UK
      watching the US Masters golf on Tv,not that I'm much of a golfer,but I
      enjoy the beauty of the Augusta course and the chance to hear quite a
      lot of different bird calls.I'm not brilliant on british bird calls
      and have even less chance of identifying the US birds that I can hear
      on tv,which is why I wondered if anyone there can help.If you too are
      watching the golf and can identify some of the bird songs for me,then
      I can look them up on my north american birds cdrom,to try and match
      the bird to the song or call.
      From my previous Florida vacations I think I've identified carolina
      wren as one of the most vocal birds,but stand to be corrected.
      Thanks in advance for any help you can offer,and as always i'm envious
      of the fact that you are all in florida and I'm not!!
      Paul
    • Eddie Chapman
      Message 2 of 2 , Apr 6, 2006
        Hello all,
        Paul wrote:
        I enjoy the beauty of the Augusta course and the chance to hear quite a lot
        of different bird calls.
        Wasn't there a case, a few years ago, where some TV company (I think it was
        NBC) used "taped" bird calls during some big golf tournament? The idea was
        to "add" a little natural atmosphere under the direct transmission. However
        things backfired. Some sharp eared American birder heard a bird singing,
        (can't remember the species involved) and realising it was a major rarity
        put out that news that he had just heard the bird singing on a live TV
        program. This resulted in that several birders turned up at the golf course
        to look for the bird. In the end, the TV company admitted in using taped
        bird song.

        All the best,
        Eddie Chapman, Voss. Norway.
        http://www.birdwatching-in-norway.com
        Photo Album: Eurasian Wigeons feeding in the snow.