953Re: [SWFLBirdline] Possible Black-headed Gull at Sanibel toll booth area, 2 Jan 06

    Jan 5, 2006

      Add a first winter Franklin's Gull seen in the early AM on Wed 4 Jan, just as
      the tide was receding shortly after sunrise. Vince McGrath was able to relocate
      the bird shortly after his arrival, as did Wes Dirks by 8:15 or so. I had to
      leave at that point for an all-day engagement, but before I left Vince found a
      aberrant Laughing Gull with orange bill and legs!

      Will this gull turn out to be the possible Black-headed Gull??? I'm still
      holding out some optimism that one is around, as the Laughing Gull did not match
      up very well to the descriptions I have received from two different individuals.
      One of the sightings was in good light and conditions, the other in foggy
      conditions, so time will tell! I have some poor digiscoped images of the
      laugher, and some nice camera shots of the Franklin's I'll try to get out soon.
      Must run to work right now.

      Lillian Stokes sent me some great pics of the Franklin's Gull from yesterday,
      along with a nice comparison write up that I will try to post later today.

      Arlyne Salcedo
      SalcedoDVM@...