951Re: [SWFLBirdline] Possible Black-headed Gull at Sanibel toll booth area, 2 Jan 06

    Jan 3, 2006
      All,

      I had a chance to speak to the visiting birder today, now back home, and get
      some specifics on the possible BH Gull. He had close, direct comparisons to
      nearby Laughing Gulls with the sun behind him and the aid of a Leica scope. He
      described the size as smaller, the mantle lighter gray, the bill smaller and red
      with a black tip, and the head pattern was cleaner and included the two thin and
      distinctive black markings of a BH Gull/Bonaparte's type gull, not the
      smudgy-like, less distinctive markings of a Laughing Gull in basic plumage
      (adult).

      His concern is that w/o seeing the bird in flight, it would turn out to be an
      aberrant Bonaparte's Gull. An aberrant Laughing Gull was not a possibility in
      his opinion.

      My first description was based on a quick conversation, so I apologize if it
      lacked the depth of this post. Rightly after the many aberrant LAGU in FL this
      fall, a few folks were curious if this gull could be possibly be one of those.