2296Common Eider update--RE: 4 Black Scoters - Sanibel Causeway Islands 01/02/14

    Jan 2, 2014

      Hi Tom and All,

      The last positive report I’ve seen re the Common Eider and the Sanibel Causeway was by Jeff Bouton on 12-31-13, seeing the eider well off the causeway resting on a shell bar/shoal north of the first island.  A scope would be needed to properly see this area from the island.

      I posted the following in response a bit ago:

      My guess is the pattern was going out to feed during the am, and returning to the causeway to roost during the afternoon for a while after it was initially found...but not sure if that pattern is still the case as the reports have tailed off. I did get an email report yesterday that a female COEI was seen and photographed in Estero Bay in the area of the Key West Express terminal, Salty Sam's Marina, and the Parrot Key Bar and Restaurant. This area is accessed of Main St, which is actually on the mainland side of the bridge that goes over Mantanzas Pass and onto the north end of Estero Island/Ft Myers Beach. It is the last left turn before you cross the bridge. May still be roosting mid to late afternoon on the causeway islands, but I haven't seen a direct report of this for a week or so...

      The facebook page that has been used to update the eider, as well as many of the other rarities being reported around the state is:

      https://www.facebook.com/groups/birdingflorida/

      Best for the new year,

      Cape Coral Friends of Wildlife info:

      http://www.ccfriendsofwildlife.org/