1369SRQ Bird Alerts 1 January 2009 - The Ruff is still at Myakka River SP

  • Peter Rice SRQ Bird Alerts
    Jan 1, 2009
      1 January 2009 - The photograph attached and further below is of some of the many bird watchers who showed up New Year's Day between 10 AM and 11:30 AM to see the Ruff at Myakka River State Park.  About 11 AM the Ruff ended its photo opportunity for the morning.  The bridge is about 1/3rd of a mile into the park from the south entrance (on SR 72).  We saw the Ruff on the east side of the bridge.  On the west side were some black necked stilts.  Considering that the Ruff has been seen in this location for four mornings, I suspect that it will be there longer.  More reports follow below.  Happy New Years 2009.  Peter and Frances Rice
      12/29/08-1/1/09--Adult basic-plumaged Ruff, Sarasota County, Myakka River State Park. Observer: Rick Greenspun. Directions: from I-75, take exit 205 (Rt. 72), head East 9 mi to park entrance on north side of road. (DeLORME pg. 97)  Ruff in water just before first bridge after park entrance. Usually with yellowlegs and several dowitchers on right side of road, sometimes in shallows by tree line.  Best time for viewing seems to be around 10 AM. (Happy New Year)
      1 January 2009 - Myakka River State Park- At 10 AM the Ruff (Reeve) appeared in the first pool on the right side of the first bridge for 5 seconds (Yogi saw and indentified it) and it flew past the river into the last pool (north) on the right side of the bridge. We believed him and over 20 birders went to the mud flat on the north side of the northern most pool where we all got to see the Ruff (Reeve) from 10 AM until 11:30 AM.
      1 January 2009 - If you saw the Ruff (Reeve) last year 2008, and would like to put it on your 2009 list...its still there. Birders from as far as Tampa and Ft. Myers were there to see it today, tomorrow it could draw an even bigger crowd. The front gate has been raking in the cash from this rare sighting. Today it was in the middle of a triangle made by a Greater Yellowlegs, Lesser Yellowlegs, and Long-billed Dowitcher. It was a lifer for many people including myself. I did not have any luck finding it yesterday afternoon 12/31/08 from 4-5:30 PM in the same location. Thanks for the reports where to look.Happy New Year! Barry Rossheim SAS, MCAS, VAAS nethoppers@...
      1 January 2009 - The Ruff was present this morning just to the south of the first bridge at Myakka River State Park in Sarasota County. It seems to hang around a small flock of shorebirds that include: 1 Greater Yellowlegs, 2 Lesser Yellowlegs, 1 Long-billed Dowitcher, a few Dunlin and many Least Sandpipers.
      1 January 2009 - The Ruff was not found today till around 10 AM and from what I heard that was about the same time it showed up yesterday too, so if you make the trip to try for the bird there is no need to be there real early.  Brian Ahern  Tampa Bay, FL BrianAhern@...
      1 January 2009 - I don't know if it's helpful for the count, but there are five or six white pelicans in the  ICW 1/4 milw south of Blackburn Point Bridge. They've been there for a couple of days. They're easily seen from Lookout Point in Southbay; that's on the south side of the channel leading into the marina. It's private but nobody will bother you.  Also there's a screech owl(s?) in the tree next to our house. I've heard them often enough in the spring and fall, but this is the first one I remember hearing at this time of year. He tunes up around 5:30 and is reasonably reliable. If it's useful, let me know and I'll try to be awake. Bob Thomas  robltom@...
      Peter Rice