1129Little Estero Lagoon, Sat AM, 31 March 07

    Apr 2, 2007

      I led a local group Saturday AM to Little Estero Island CWA, aka Little Estero Lagoon (Ft Myers Beach).  For only the second time in my 5 or so end of March tours for Lee County ’s Birdfest, Chuck-will’s-widow’s stole the show!  A couple years back, 2 or 3 crossed the lagoon as they made land-fall off the Gulf.  I don’t think you can say with certainty whether these individuals are trans-Gulf migrants (leaving Mexico’s Yucatan Peninsula for example) or Caribbean migrants (leaving Cuba after working their way through the West Indies), but they certainly spent the night migrating out over the Gulf from somewhere.  Any way, this tour witnessed 8-10 cross the lagoon and head for the closest trees or car ports!  It was difficult to see where they ultimately settled in to rest, but the last two were cooperative.  Unfortunately for most of my flock, only a few of the tour group were still following the pied piper and got to see a Chuck up close and personal.  Attached is a picture I digiscoped.  A fly-by flock of Glossy Ibis was significant, as it was the first time I have seen them at the lagoon (technically, they still haven’t been seen by me “at” the lagoon, as this was a flock that was high and flying north).

      Birds seen and/or reported:

      Mottled Duck

      Brown Pelican

      DC Cormorant