1074SRQ Bird Alerts 4 December 2006

  • SRQ Bird Alerts
    Dec 4, 2006
      1.  27 November - There is a male Ruddy Duck mixed in with the large group of Redhead, Ring-necked & Lesser Scaup at the last/largest of the Terra Verde Ponds just before Ft. DeSoto Park. Ruddy Ducks are not a common winter resident for Pinellas County.  Brian Ahern  Tampa, FL.  BrianAhern@...

      2.  2 December - Edith Miller and Janet Carlock found a female Dickcissel at the Celery Fields in Sarasota today—another new bird for the CF list, making that number 196!  Jeanne Dubi—Sarasota  dubi@...

      3.  2 December - Jeff Palmer found a Scissor-tailed Flycatcher at the Celery Fields in Sarasota today. That is the 195th species recorded there in the modern era (from Jan 1, 2001).   Jeanne Dubi—Sarasota  dubi@...

      4.  28 November - I saw one Peregrine Falcon winging it's over the Sarasota Quay this morning while sitting at a stop light.
      Ryan Welsh  Ryan Welsh welshry@...

      5.  26 November - John Ginaven and I had good looks at a pair of Saltmarsh Sharp-tailed Sparrows this morning at a site in NW Manatee
      County (that's not currently pubicly-accessible).  Lifer for me and new state bird for John.  Stu Wilson  Austin, TX    stu@...

      6.  Golden-crowned Kinglets (not an alert)- There have been many reports of them seen in various locations in Florida.  Perhaps some are in the SRQ area, look for them.  Let us know if you see any.

      7.  Last week several Whopping Cranes were seen flying in Hardee County (east of Manatee County).  If you see them, please let us know.

      8.  3 December - Carlton Reserve Bird Walk:
      In the parking lot of Carlton Reserve we saw the resident Red-headed Woodpeckers. On the roadside north of the entryway, on the west side we saw one Prairie Warbler in with many yellow-rumped warblers. In the restricted vehicle back section we saw a Purple Gallinule, Hairy Woodpecker, and had a long, great look at an American Bittern.  Charlie Sample and Carolyn Edmunds led this walk with about a dozen participants.  Over 50 species of birds were recorded.  Barry Rossheim VAAS & SAS  nethoppers@...

      9.  Non-Bird Alert:  The Venice Area Audubon Society has a three day bus trip to Lake Apopka, Mt. Dora, Zellwood, and Lake Okeechobee. January 16 -18, 2007. They will also be stopping at the Audubon Bird of Prey Center in Maitland. This trip is sure to be the highlight of VAAS's field trip program. Target Birds include Whooping Cranes, White Pelicans, Limpkin, Crested Caracara, Short-tailed Hawks, Marsh Wren, Sparrows (Grasshopper, LeConte's, Vesper, Bachman's, Swamp, Field), wintering ducks, and much more.You will be birding fields at Lake Apopka closed to the public, one of the most populated winter birding areas in Florida. The cost is $256 per person double occupancy, $370 per person single room. Registration forms and payment is due December 11, 2006.  We have a limited number of openings still available. Contact Charlie Sample or Carolyn Edmunds (941) 497-6463 for trip details. Contact Barry Rossheim, VAAS Field Trip Coordinator (941) 485-1328 with your name and address and a registration form and trip itinerary will be mailed to you the same day.  Barry Rossheim  VAAS Field Trip Coordinator   nethoppers@...

      10.  Request for assistance:

      Please send me any interesting bird sightings in West-Central Florida for this past fall for inclusion in the Florida Field Naturalist, published by Florida Ornithological Society. The focus of this quarterly report is on rare/unusual birds and other interesting sightings (high numbers, interesting behavior, breeding status, etc). If you are unsure whether your sighting qualifies, please send it to me anyway. The West-Central area includes: Pasco, Hillsborough, Pinellas, Manatee & Sarasota counties. If you have any significant bird observations from this past fall (August 1st – November 30th) in these counties please e-mail them to me at: BrianAhern@...

      PLEASE follow this format when putting your report together. And PLEASE put all your
      observations in phylogenetic order, not in random or chronological order

      Species
      Number of individuals
      Date(s)
      Location (including county)
      Observers
      Details for species rare or difficult to distinguish from common species, or any unusual behavior or notes.

      All observers whose sightings are published are acknowledged fully in FFN.
      Thank you!

      Brian Ahern  Tampa, FL  BrianAhern@...
      Photos: http://community.webshots.com/user/floridanature

      Please send your input about rare and/or interesting bird sightings to: SRQbirdAlerts@...