Why Do Young Children Choose to Become Vegetarians?

  • Marius-Cristian Vasilescu
    Message 1 of 3 , Aug 31, 2006
      Foarte misto articolul. Ca tot a venit vorba de copii, o pagina noua
      despre ei (eu n-am putut sa o accesez, pt ca e serverul jos chiar acum):
      http://www.veganhealth.org/articles/realveganchildren

      Articolul, de fapt studiul:

      Why Do Young Children Choose to Become Vegetarians?
      by Jill Anderson
      August 8, 2006

      Doctoral Student Karen Hussar with Alejandra Tumble
      Alejandra Tumble, 10, doesn’t eat meat and really doesn’t
      like ham. But, her reasons for not eating meat might surprise you.
      Alejandra talks at length about her choice not to eat meat, and how
      strange it seems to her that a pig can be processed into a thin slice
      of pink meat. She thinks it’s wrong—not for everyone, but
      at least for her.

      HGSE Doctoral Student Karen Hussar’s research examines children
      aged 6–10 who have become vegetarians. As with Alejandra, for
      most children Hussar studied, the decision has more to do with morals
      than with personal choice. This is contrary to the theories of famed
      psychologists Lawrence Kohlberg and Jean Piaget—both pioneers in
      moral development—that children aren’t capable of making
      independent moral decisions at this age.

      “It’s exciting to see how relatively autonomous and
      independently-minded these children are,” says Thomas Professor
      Paul Harris, who advised Hussar throughout the research. “This
      means that children are being influenced by other children and going
      against the tide in their own homes, which are meat-eating homes. We
      don’t know much about how children make moral decisions at such
      a young age. I think this is a good pioneering effort.”

      Hussar, who began her study on vegetarians on the recommendation of
      Harris, says that vegetarian children are the perfect subjects for
      research about moral development.

      “When you talk to kids about bullying or teasing, they all know
      the right answers and can say it’s wrong,” Hussar says.
      “However, the nice thing about this population [vegetarian] of
      children is they don’t have the prescribed answers in their
      heads. So, you feel you’re getting real responses about
      morality.”

      Hussar’s research looked at a total of 45 children—some
      vegetarians from meat-eating homes, some vegetarians from vegetarian
      homes, and some nonvegetarians—and inquired about their
      decisions to eat or not to eat meat through role play. In order to
      gauge how these children made their decisions, Hussar set up methods
      of questioning that provided four different stories for the children
      including moral, personal, meat-eating, and social. Then, Hussar
      compared the responses to determine how their judgments differed.
      Through these interviews, she discovered that many children made the
      choice based on moral reasons. “Their responses were more about
      how animals are their friends,” Hussar explains. “They
      could’ve used personal reasons like, ‘I feel
      healthier,’ or taste reasons like, ‘Bad for my taste
      buds—it’s really chewy.’”

      In one of Hussar’s first studies, the vegetarians came from
      meat-eating homes and had made this decision entirely separate from
      their families. The research revealed that [nonvegetarian] children
      judged those who made a decision to refrain from eating meat for moral
      reasons more harshly than those who made personal decisions.

      Even more interesting for Hussar was the discovery that all of the
      vegetarian children disclosed moral reasons to not eat meat, such as
      “I don’t like the idea of killing animals,” or
      “I love animals and I didn’t want to eat them…I just
      wanted to be nice.” The nonvegetarian children [in the study]
      didn’t acknowledge morals at all.

      More surprising was that the vegetarian children didn’t judge
      those who chose to eat meat as being bad. “For those that come
      from families where they’re the only non-meat eater it may be
      hard for them to be judgmental of the people they live with because
      they’re their role models,” Hussar says. In fact, the
      vegetarian children looked more harshly upon those children who had
      once committed to not eating meat for moral reasons and then broke
      that commitment.

      Hussar admits that everything isn’t so cut and dry. Many
      nonvegetarian children can recognize the moral value of not eating
      meat, yet do not make the choice to become vegetarian. She’s
      eager to do more research to find out why certain children stop eating
      meat while others do not. “[Non-vegetarians] don’t look
      and think this [choice] is so unusual,” Hussar says. “I
      think [their choice to continue eating meat] has to do in part with
      majority. I don’t think it’s a case of they don’t
      recognize moral value, but it isn’t enough to turn them into
      vegetarians.”

      As Hussar works on completing her dissertation this year, she plans to
      continue researching vegetarian children and moral decisions. In the
      upcoming year, she will work with Harris in studying children who
      become vegetarians through the influence of their friends, as well as
      the moral choices that lead to vegetarianism.

      http://www.gse.harvard.edu/news_events/features/2006/08/08_hussar.html
    • Marius-Cristian Vasilescu
      Message 2 of 3 , Aug 31, 2006
        Vad ca a aparut aiurea articolul. Cititi-l aici:
        http://www.gse.harvard.edu/news_events/features/2006/08/08_hussar.html

      • ruxi_c
        Message 3 of 3 , Sep 1, 2006
          chiar ca e misto articolul (si site-ul ala cu copii
          prezentati). eu tocmai am un nou coleg de casa care a
          crescut vegetarian si doar de citiva ani maninca si
          carne (putin)... e-atit de trist fenomenu' asta! am de
          gind sa-l mai descos pe tip, pe mine ma intereseaza
          intotdeauna cum se simte cineva care face schimbarea
          asta - impresia mea e ca e chiar mai drastica decit
          schimbarea de la omnivorism la vegetarianism.

          ruxi

          http://mail.yahoo.com