FW: Italian eatery fined for "cruel" display of lobsters

  • Marius-Cristian Vasilescu
    Message 1 of 1 , May 1, 2006
      Three cheers for Italy! Wish I could do something for the live lobsters in
      the tank at the grocery story we shop at . . . .
      http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/12533925/

      Eatery fined for �cruel� display of lobsters on ice
      No word on whether cooking and eating them is considered humane

      Updated: 3:07 p.m. ET April 28, 2006
      ROME - An Italian restaurant was fined 688 euros ($855) for displaying live
      lobsters on ice to attract patrons, in an innovative application of an
      anti-cruelty law usually affecting household pets.

      A court in the northeastern city of Vicenza ruled the display was a form of
      abuse dooming the crustaceans to a slow death by suffocation.

      "We're appealing," said Giuseppe Scalesia, who runs La Conchiglia D'Oro, or
      "Golden Shell," restaurant along with his brother Camillo.

      "They said that the lobsters, lying on the ice, suffer.... They compared
      them in court to other animals, like cats and dogs."

      The case was brought by Gianpaolo Cecchetto, a former environmental
      activist, who took his two young children to the Vicenza restaurant in May
      2002.

      "They were shocked by the display," Cecchetto told Reuters, adding he
      immediately got in touch with the the ENPA national animal protection
      entity. "ENPA took care of the lawyers and legal proceedings."

      Italy has some of the world's toughest animal rights laws. The city of Rome
      in October banned goldfish bowls, seen as cruel, while Turin passed a law
      last year that would fine dog owners 500 euros unless they walked their
      canine friends at least three times a day.

      Copyright 2006 Reuters Limited. All rights reserved. Republication or
      redistribution of Reuters content is expressly prohibited without the prior
      written consent of Reuters.