Need some help setting up and configuring things

  • kd5pck
    Message 1 of 5 , Feb 18, 2012
      Hello all, I am overwhelmed trying to set things up to get on the air
      with 2 meter packet. Here's what I have:Icom IC-746PRO
      Signalink USB interfaceNetbook running Win7 32 bit
      I have downloaded AGWPE and Outpost v2.5. Where do I start? I'm not a
      computer programmer by any means and I seem to be lost with all this.
      Any help would be appreciated.
      ScottKD5PCK

    • Josh Gibbs
      Message 2 of 5 , Feb 18, 2012
        Hi Scott,

        I suggest you start here:

        http://www.soundcardpacket.com/index.html

        Read through that excellent documentation and it should answer most of your
        questions.

        73

        -Josh KD7PAJ

        On Sat, Feb 18, 2012 at 9:05 AM, kd5pck <kd5pck@...> wrote:

        > **
        >

        > Hello all, I am overwhelmed trying to set things up to get on the air
        > with 2 meter packet. Here's what I have:Icom IC-746PRO
        > Signalink USB interfaceNetbook running Win7 32 bit
        > I have downloaded AGWPE and Outpost v2.5. Where do I start? I'm not a
        > computer programmer by any means and I seem to be lost with all this.
        > Any help would be appreciated.
        > ScottKD5PCK

      • Ralph Milnes
        Message 3 of 5 , Feb 18, 2012
          Scott,

          You have lots of components to get working, so lots of links in the chain
          where you can run into difficulties. I would proceed in this order:

          1. First, also download and install AGWTerm to use for testing:
          http://www.sv2agw.com/downloads/agwtermTcp.zip

          2. Before installing AGWPE, please consult this page:
          http://www.soundcardpacket.org/vista.htm

          3 Try to get AGWPE working with the SignaLink. Use the link Josh gave you
          for configuring AGWPE. (For the moment, forget about Outpost and the radio.)
          There is a special page dealing with AGWPE-SignaLink at:
          http://www.soundcardpacket.org/1signalinkusb.htm

          4. To test if the AGWPE-SignaLink connection is transmitting OK, start
          AGWPE, power up the SignaLink and start AGWTerm. From AGWTerm's top menu,
          select "Actions" and then "Ask QRA". This should send a transmission request
          through AGWPE to the SignaLink. The red PTT light on the SignaLink should
          light. If it doesn't, you first need to resolve this problem. Use the web
          page above for hints.

          5. When it works, plug in the SignaLink to the radio and tune to a packet
          frequency. In the US, the APRS frequency at 144.39 is likely to have packet
          traffic. Check that you are receiving packets in AGWPE (the green pixel on
          the AGWPE modem icon in the lower right of your screen should light) and you
          should also see traffic in AGWTerm.

          6. Then try a transmission as you did in #4 above. Note if the radio goes in
          to transmit mode. If not, you need to resolve this problem which is really a
          SignaLink-to-radio problem. Some hints are on the web page quoted above, but
          you might have to go the SignaLink site for other ideas; or come back to
          this list for help from IC-746 owners.

          7. Finally, start Outpost and get it working with AGWPE. Try this page for
          help:
          http://www.outpostpm.org/howto/htsuagwpe.html Remember to move off the APRS
          frequency and to your packet BBS/QSO frequency for Outpost transmissions and
          testing.

          Scott, please let me know if it turns out any of these steps are explained
          poorly or incorrectly. Also, if you run into any problems with any step,
          please feel free to come back to this forum for help. Try to explain what
          steps you have taken and where you are encountering the problem or seeing
          any error messages.

          73,

          Ralph NM5RM
          Author of the Soundcardpacket.org website.

          Message 4 of 5 , Feb 18, 2012
            Ralph,
            Thanks for the detailed reply. I think I will uninstall everything and start over following your steps. I will let you know how things work out. It's a stormy rainy day here in southeast Louisiana, so I this should keep me busy for a while. Thanks again.

            Scott
            KD5PCK

            --- In SV2AGW@yahoogroups.com, "Ralph Milnes" <ralphmilnes@...> wrote:

            > Scott,
            >
            > You have lots of components to get working, so lots of links in the chain
            > where you can run into difficulties. I would proceed in this order:
            >
            > 1. First, also download and install AGWTerm to use for testing:
            > http://www.sv2agw.com/downloads/agwtermTcp.zip
            >
            > 2. Before installing AGWPE, please consult this page:
            > http://www.soundcardpacket.org/vista.htm
            >
            > 3 Try to get AGWPE working with the SignaLink. Use the link Josh gave you
            > for configuring AGWPE. (For the moment, forget about Outpost and the radio.)
            > There is a special page dealing with AGWPE-SignaLink at:
            > http://www.soundcardpacket.org/1signalinkusb.htm
            >
            > 4. To test if the AGWPE-SignaLink connection is transmitting OK, start
            > AGWPE, power up the SignaLink and start AGWTerm. From AGWTerm's top menu,
            > select "Actions" and then "Ask QRA". This should send a transmission request
            > through AGWPE to the SignaLink. The red PTT light on the SignaLink should
            > light. If it doesn't, you first need to resolve this problem. Use the web
            > page above for hints.
            >
            > 5. When it works, plug in the SignaLink to the radio and tune to a packet
            > frequency. In the US, the APRS frequency at 144.39 is likely to have packet
            > traffic. Check that you are receiving packets in AGWPE (the green pixel on
            > the AGWPE modem icon in the lower right of your screen should light) and you
            > should also see traffic in AGWTerm.
            >
            > 6. Then try a transmission as you did in #4 above. Note if the radio goes in
            > to transmit mode. If not, you need to resolve this problem which is really a
            > SignaLink-to-radio problem. Some hints are on the web page quoted above, but
            > you might have to go the SignaLink site for other ideas; or come back to
            > this list for help from IC-746 owners.
            >
            > 7. Finally, start Outpost and get it working with AGWPE. Try this page for
            > help:
            > http://www.outpostpm.org/howto/htsuagwpe.html Remember to move off the APRS
            > frequency and to your packet BBS/QSO frequency for Outpost transmissions and
            > testing.
            >
            > Scott, please let me know if it turns out any of these steps are explained
            > poorly or incorrectly. Also, if you run into any problems with any step,
            > please feel free to come back to this forum for help. Try to explain what
            > steps you have taken and where you are encountering the problem or seeing
            > any error messages.
            >

            > 73,
            >

            > Ralph NM5RM
            > Author of the Soundcardpacket.org website.

          • kd5pck
            Message 5 of 5 , Feb 18, 2012
              Ralph, I followed your steps to the t and was still a little frustrated
              when I couldn't get the radio to key. Everything was working up to that
              point. After about an hour of reading online and trying to figure out my
              radio, I finally pulled out the owner's manual. I have to admit, I only
              use the 746PRO for Field Day since I don't have an HF antenna at home.
              Wouldn't you know it, the radio has to be put into a digital mode. Once
              that was done, the radio now keys up. Now I am just awaiting a reply for
              the specifics in my area for the packet digi and mailbox in use in my
              area. Hopefully I can get Outpost configured tomorrow. Thanks again for
              the help.
              ScottKD5PCK