New file uploaded to STREND

  • STREND@yahoogroups.com
    Message 1 of 13 , Jan 1, 2004
      Hello,

      a file has been uploaded to the Files area of the STREND
      group.

      File : /matt.wmv
      Uploaded by : skate_94538 <skate_94538@...>
      Description : 50 pullups

      You can access this file at the URL

      Regards,

      skate_94538 <skate_94538@...>
    • basil2_uk
      Message 2 of 13 , Jan 1, 2004
        Congratulations! Happy New year - and thank you.
        Basil

        --- In STREND@yahoogroups.com, STREND@yahoogroups.com wrote:

        > Hello,

        > a file has been uploaded to the Files area of the STREND
        > group.
        >
        > File : /matt.wmv
        > Uploaded by : skate_94538 <skate_94538@y...>
        > Description : 50 pullups
        >
        > You can access this file at the URL

        > Regards,
        >
        > skate_94538 <skate_94538@y...>
      • JOHN CARMONY
        Message 3 of 13 , Jan 1, 2004
          Hey Matt,

          Can I have your autograph?

          Great movie!

          John C.
          a file has been uploaded to the Files area of the STREND
          group.

          File : /matt.wmv
          Uploaded by : skate_94538 <skate_94538@...>
          Description : 50 pullups

          You can access this file at the URL

          Regards,

          skate_94538 <skate_94538@...>

          Community email addresses:
          Post message: STREND@...
          Subscribe: STREND-subscribe@...

          List Homepage:

          To go to the STREND Website:
          http://www.strend.com

          Yahoo! Groups Links

          To visit your group on the web, go to:

          http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

        • Matt Bogdanowicz
          Message 4 of 13 , Jan 2, 2004
            Thanks,

            And Happy New year everyone!!!

            I Finally got it on there.
            The last three probably would not count in a STREND competition.
            But then again I do have room for improvement. I may try and go for 55 in
            a couple of months.

            Matt

            At 10:41 AM 1/1/2004 -0700, you wrote:
            >Hey Matt,
            >
            >Can I have your autograph?
            >
            >Great movie!
            >
            >John C.

            Sports and Fitness Coordinator
            Cisco TimeOut Fitness Center
            375 E Tasman, SJ 6/1
            Phone: 408-525-9311
            Fax: 408-525-9527
            Extension: 59311
            mbogdaan@...
            Managed by: TimeOut Services, Inc.
            http://timeoutservices.com/corporateServices.htm
          • STREND@yahoogroups.com
            Message 5 of 13 , Apr 24, 2004
              Hello,

              a file has been uploaded to the Files area of the STREND
              group.

              File : /Exercises/my workout.xls
              Uploaded by : dcarr75 <jeeploverx2@...>
              Description : My workout log developed from previous posts

              You can access this file at the URL

              Regards,

              dcarr75 <jeeploverx2@...>
            • greg_damian
              Message 6 of 13 , Apr 29, 2004
                Hi I have a couple of questions about your workout.

                It looks like you have two days of non Strend workouts between you
                Strend days. How much experimentation have you done with this? For
                low rep weight training, I wait one week inbetween workouts, but
                Strend isn't low rep training (at least that's not the idea).

                Secondly, why all the bench pressing up front? Is this an equipment
                issue or is this exactly what you would do regardless of equipment?

                And finally, what time interval do you your Strend sets in?

                fyi, On my Strend days, I have been doing 3 complete sets. I try to
                do the first at bw +20%, second at bw +10%, third at bw and I have
                been trying to do these in a 2 minute cycle which gives me almost
                enough time to change my bench press into a should press stand and
                then into dip bars. After each cycle, I get an extra minute or two of
                rest!

                --- In STREND@yahoogroups.com, STREND@yahoogroups.com wrote:

                > Hello,

                > a file has been uploaded to the Files area of the STREND
                > group.
                >
                > File : /Exercises/my workout.xls
                > Uploaded by : dcarr75 <jeeploverx2@h...>
                > Description : My workout log developed from previous posts
                >
                > You can access this file at the URL

                20workout.xls

                > Regards,
                >
                > dcarr75 <jeeploverx2@h...>
              • H Davies
                Message 7 of 13 , Apr 29, 2004
                  From what i see on this site, you guys are in the same position as us over the pond. Loads of training and very few chances to test ourselves and prove the training is working.

                  We have about 3 comps a year, and hardly worth dedicating 12 months of training to.

                  Just really for information a group of us do a variety or evens over the year ranging from cycling racing, time trials, triathlon, half and full marathons, bench press comps, indoor rowing and many more. We even have a sack race coming up soon.

                  It is great to mix up with a wide range of athletes and see what it takes to be good in a certain sport but the more goalposts you have, the motivated you are to train hard all year round and maintain the overall fitness,

                  Not criticising the STREND here but unless there is one a month, there is a lot of mileage in training for other events too that will all serve to improve fitness. EG, why not spend a month working on your 3 mile run and then entering a few 5k races

                  greg_damian <greg_damian@...> wrote:
                  Hi I have a couple of questions about your workout.

                  It looks like you have two days of non Strend workouts between you
                  Strend days. How much experimentation have you done with this? For
                  low rep weight training, I wait one week inbetween workouts, but
                  Strend isn't low rep training (at least that's not the idea).

                  Secondly, why all the bench pressing up front? Is this an equipment
                  issue or is this exactly what you would do regardless of equipment?

                  And finally, what time interval do you your Strend sets in?

                  fyi, On my Strend days, I have been doing 3 complete sets. I try to
                  do the first at bw +20%, second at bw +10%, third at bw and I have
                  been trying to do these in a 2 minute cycle which gives me almost
                  enough time to change my bench press into a should press stand and
                  then into dip bars. After each cycle, I get an extra minute or two of
                  rest!

                  --- In STREND@yahoogroups.com, STREND@yahoogroups.com wrote:

                  > Hello,

                  > a file has been uploaded to the Files area of the STREND
                  > group.
                  >
                  > File : /Exercises/my workout.xls
                  > Uploaded by : dcarr75 <jeeploverx2@h...>
                  > Description : My workout log developed from previous posts
                  >
                  > You can access this file at the URL

                  20workout.xls

                  > Regards,
                  >
                  > dcarr75 <jeeploverx2@h...>

                  Community email addresses:
                  Post message: STREND@...
                  Subscribe: STREND-subscribe@...

                  List Homepage:

                  To go to the STREND Website:
                  http://www.strend.com

                • Matt Bogdaanowicz
                  Message 8 of 13 , Apr 30, 2004
                    This is very true,
                    Since there are not many STREND comps, one has to continue to engage in
                    other fitness activities. For me my sport of choice is Track and Field,
                    for others, it may be tri's, or Weight lifting, or Thai boxing, who
                    knows? Great point Hywel, one can focus every month on a different area,
                    ie. improving your 5k, improving your bench etc. When or if a separate
                    fitness event pops up in your area, try it, perhaps it is just a pump and
                    run, but at least it is something, and they contribute in some way to your
                    overall fitness.

                    Matt Bogdanowicz
                    Sports Coordinator
                    Cisco TimeOut Fitness Center
                    375 E Tasman, Bldg. 6
                    Phone: 408-525-9311
                    Fax: 408-525-9527
                    Extension: 59311
                    mbogdaan@...
                  • dcarr75
                    Message 9 of 13 , May 2, 2004
                      Greg,
                      I'm still experimenting with the workout a little, but to answer
                      some of your questions. The two days between STREND workouts is
                      mostly for recovery. I've found that I need about two days to
                      recover and it also gives me a chance to vary the use of those
                      muscles a little. As far as the workout goes I'm usually pressed
                      for time. I can do the lifting portion in about 45 minutes with
                      approximately a 1-2 minute rest between sets. The benching is all
                      up front mostly because I don't want to injure myself and on the
                      other lifts the risk is a lot lower. The reason I posted was to
                      help tweak my routine. Your idea sound pretty interesting how's it
                      working for you?
                    • greg_damian
                      Message 10 of 13 , May 3, 2004
                        I tried something a bit different this morning, for a couple of
                        reasons. One is that I injured my shoulder bench pressing about a
                        month ago and it is still a bit sore (lifting heavy). Secondly, I
                        wasn't sure that my routine was actually warming up my muscles
                        properly (my injury was probably a result of this). So I started with
                        a tradional workout with enough weight to fatague at 8 reps. 3 sets
                        for the four exercises other than the bench press. After that I rode
                        the bike for a few minutes then went into strend 100% bw (minus the
                        bench press) on a two minute interval. I did that twice. I had a good
                        first round with a total of 162 reps (a couple might not have
                        counted). I think it was more like 140 reps in the second round. This
                        seemed to work pretty well so I will try this again next Monday and
                        will include the bench press.

                        Skipping the bp was interesting and really makes me wonder if the
                        total count isn't really maximized by going 80% on the first two
                        exercises. That would really take some discipline and I am not sure I
                        have that. Actually, I know I don't. I ran the Make A Wish Half
                        Marathion in Denver this weekend and ran the first mile in 5:30
                        (dough!). Finished in 1:27 which was still 9th/400, but I would have
                        been much faster overall with a 6:15 first mile.

                        Another workout I am thinking of is taking all five exercises in
                        order and doing five sets of each. The first three are heavy 6-8 reps
                        with the last two of the high rep variety.

                        --- In STREND@yahoogroups.com, "dcarr75" <jeeploverx2@h...> wrote:
                        > Greg,
                        > I'm still experimenting with the workout a little, but to answer
                        > some of your questions. The two days between STREND workouts is
                        > mostly for recovery. I've found that I need about two days to
                        > recover and it also gives me a chance to vary the use of those
                        > muscles a little. As far as the workout goes I'm usually pressed
                        > for time. I can do the lifting portion in about 45 minutes with
                        > approximately a 1-2 minute rest between sets. The benching is all
                        > up front mostly because I don't want to injure myself and on the
                        > other lifts the risk is a lot lower. The reason I posted was to
                        > help tweak my routine. Your idea sound pretty interesting how's it
                        > working for you?
                      • Matt Bogdaanowicz
                        Message 11 of 13 , May 3, 2004
                          That seems like a pretty awesome workout, Nice job on the Half.

                          Yes, holding back on bench takes a lot of discipline. I try, but usually
                          don't succeed. Stopping 5 reps short, could make a huge difference on the
                          other rep totals. Just ask John C.

                          Matt

                          At 11:18 PM 5/3/2004 +0000, you wrote:
                          >I tried something a bit different this morning, for a couple of
                          >reasons. One is that I injured my shoulder bench pressing about a
                          >month ago and it is still a bit sore (lifting heavy). Secondly, I
                          >wasn't sure that my routine was actually warming up my muscles
                          >properly (my injury was probably a result of this). So I started with
                          >a tradional workout with enough weight to fatague at 8 reps. 3 sets
                          >for the four exercises other than the bench press. After that I rode
                          >the bike for a few minutes then went into strend 100% bw (minus the
                          >bench press) on a two minute interval. I did that twice. I had a good
                          >first round with a total of 162 reps (a couple might not have
                          >counted). I think it was more like 140 reps in the second round. This
                          >seemed to work pretty well so I will try this again next Monday and
                          >will include the bench press.
                          >
                          >Skipping the bp was interesting and really makes me wonder if the
                          >total count isn't really maximized by going 80% on the first two
                          >exercises. That would really take some discipline and I am not sure I
                          >have that. Actually, I know I don't. I ran the Make A Wish Half
                          >Marathion in Denver this weekend and ran the first mile in 5:30
                          >(dough!). Finished in 1:27 which was still 9th/400, but I would have
                          >been much faster overall with a 6:15 first mile.
                          >
                          >Another workout I am thinking of is taking all five exercises in
                          >order and doing five sets of each. The first three are heavy 6-8 reps
                          >with the last two of the high rep variety.
                          >
                          >--- In STREND@yahoogroups.com, "dcarr75" <jeeploverx2@h...> wrote:
                          > > Greg,
                          > > I'm still experimenting with the workout a little, but to answer
                          > > some of your questions. The two days between STREND workouts is
                          > > mostly for recovery. I've found that I need about two days to
                          > > recover and it also gives me a chance to vary the use of those
                          > > muscles a little. As far as the workout goes I'm usually pressed
                          > > for time. I can do the lifting portion in about 45 minutes with
                          > > approximately a 1-2 minute rest between sets. The benching is all
                          > > up front mostly because I don't want to injure myself and on the
                          > > other lifts the risk is a lot lower. The reason I posted was to
                          > > help tweak my routine. Your idea sound pretty interesting how's it
                          > > working for you?
                          >

                          >Community email addresses:
                          > Post message: STREND@...
                          > Subscribe: STREND-subscribe@...
                          >
                          >List Homepage:
                          >
                          >To go to the STREND Website:
                          > http://www.strend.com
                          >Yahoo! Groups Links

                          Matt Bogdanowicz
                          Sports Coordinator
                          Cisco TimeOut Fitness Center
                          375 E Tasman, Bldg. 6
                          Phone: 408-525-9311
                          Fax: 408-525-9527
                          Extension: 59311
                          mbogdaan@...
                        • JOHN R CARMONY
                          Message 12 of 13 , May 4, 2004
                            Uh-oh! Now you guys are figuring out my strategy. I am in trouble now!! If you struggle for that 1 extra bench, you lose 5 reps off your dips--I almost guarantee it. The trick is not only to maximize your reps but maximize your rest and manage your strength, as well. I have watched many athletes try to blast through right to the bitter max on the early sets and not have anything left for the dips, which is the easiest exercise to get the highest reps--even though it is the last exercise. Everyone needs to experiment and figure out what their best combination of rep totals is. You may surprise yourself.

                            Another trick that you can experiment with is to try to rest during your sets while locked out. Again, I have watched many athletes try do it all as one set, which is not necessary. Lockout, take a breath and give your arms a chance to recover. This is particularly effective on the dips. I generally do 35, lock and rest for 10 seconds, do 10 more, repeat the rest, do 7 more, repeat the rest-and then go for the last ones. If you can lock out and rest you can always do a few more reps. If I rush it, my rep total drops significantly. You can take the reps on the dips right past the max because you have time to recover from them at the beginning of your run. (The first half is going to be slower anyway--and extra reps mean you don't have to run near as hard to get the same score.) Another trick for the dips is to pick up your knees while you are locked out. I find this helps relax my arms and stretches my back by shifting my weight slightly.

                            Now do lots of practice Strends and run really hard.

                            There--all of the secrets are out.

                            Enjoy John C.

                            PS--I watched Tom Groves (my 55 year old training buddy who was hit by a car a year ago March) do 20 wide grip pullups a couple of weeks ago--6 months after rotator cup surgery. He is back to benching and is almost as strong as he was before the accident. Now that is an amazing athlete!! No running yet--just had his knee operated on. When he is back on the track, everyone had better watch out. I think he is out to prove something--and he is somebody who can prove it!!
                            That seems like a pretty awesome workout, Nice job on the Half.

                            Yes, holding back on bench takes a lot of discipline. I try, but usually
                            don't succeed. Stopping 5 reps short, could make a huge difference on the
                            other rep totals. Just ask John C.

                            Matt

                            At 11:18 PM 5/3/2004 +0000, you wrote:
                            >I tried something a bit different this morning, for a couple of
                            >reasons. One is that I injured my shoulder bench pressing about a
                            >month ago and it is still a bit sore (lifting heavy). Secondly, I
                            >wasn't sure that my routine was actually warming up my muscles
                            >properly (my injury was probably a result of this). So I started with
                            >a tradional workout with enough weight to fatague at 8 reps. 3 sets
                            >for the four exercises other than the bench press. After that I rode
                            >the bike for a few minutes then went into strend 100% bw (minus the
                            >bench press) on a two minute interval. I did that twice. I had a good
                            >first round with a total of 162 reps (a couple might not have
                            >counted). I think it was more like 140 reps in the second round. This
                            >seemed to work pretty well so I will try this again next Monday and
                            >will include the bench press.
                            >
                            >Skipping the bp was interesting and really makes me wonder if the
                            >total count isn't really maximized by going 80% on the first two
                            >exercises. That would really take some discipline and I am not sure I
                            >have that. Actually, I know I don't. I ran the Make A Wish Half
                            >Marathion in Denver this weekend and ran the first mile in 5:30
                            >(dough!). Finished in 1:27 which was still 9th/400, but I would have
                            >been much faster overall with a 6:15 first mile.
                            >
                            >Another workout I am thinking of is taking all five exercises in
                            >order and doing five sets of each. The first three are heavy 6-8 reps
                            >with the last two of the high rep variety.
                            >
                            >--- In STREND@yahoogroups.com<mailto:STREND@yahoogroups.com>, "dcarr75" <jeeploverx2@h<mailto:jeeploverx2@h>...> wrote:
                            > > Greg,
                            > > I'm still experimenting with the workout a little, but to answer
                            > > some of your questions. The two days between STREND workouts is
                            > > mostly for recovery. I've found that I need about two days to
                            > > recover and it also gives me a chance to vary the use of those
                            > > muscles a little. As far as the workout goes I'm usually pressed
                            > > for time. I can do the lifting portion in about 45 minutes with
                            > > approximately a 1-2 minute rest between sets. The benching is all
                            > > up front mostly because I don't want to injure myself and on the
                            > > other lifts the risk is a lot lower. The reason I posted was to
                            > > help tweak my routine. Your idea sound pretty interesting how's it
                            > > working for you?
                            >

                            >Community email addresses:
                            > Post message: STREND@...<mailto:STREND@...>
                            > Subscribe: STREND-subscribe@...<mailto:STREND-subscribe@...>