Re: [STREND] Digest Number 369

  • Randall Fairchild
    Message 1 of 2 , Oct 1, 2003
      "Ever tried? Ever failed? Try again. Fail again. Fail better. If you
      are living in a world of zero failure--you are an underperformer--Never give
      up! Show Me Your Guts Today!"

      >From: STREND@yahoogroups.com
      >To: STREND@yahoogroups.com
      >Subject: [STREND] Digest Number 369
      >Date: 30 Sep 2003 16:01:40 -0000
      >

      >Community email addresses:
      > Post message: STREND@...
      > Subscribe: STREND-subscribe@...
      >
      >List Homepage:
      >
      >To go to the STREND Website:
      > http://www.strend.com
      >
      >There are 2 messages in this issue.
      >
      >Topics in this digest:
      >
      > 1. New
      > From: Evelyn Klingler <tapisrouge30@...>
      > 2. Re: New
      > From: "JOHN CARMONY" <jcar75@...>

      >Message: 1
      > Date: Mon, 29 Sep 2003 17:43:20 -0700 (PDT)
      > From: Evelyn Klingler <tapisrouge30@...>
      >Subject: New
      >
      >Hello! My name is Evelyn Klingler, and I heard about STREND in a fitness
      >book. I have never competed in a STREND event but hope to someday. I'm
      >sure this question has been asked and answered, but what is some good
      >material to read to train for this event? I tried to access S.H.I.F.T but
      >had no luck. Any suggestions would be helpful. Thanks!

      >Message: 2
      > Date: Tue, 30 Sep 2003 07:24:38 -0600
      > From: "JOHN CARMONY" <jcar75@...>
      >Subject: Re: New
      >
      >Hi Evelyn,
      >
      >If you look back through the posts you will find a lot of good training
      >tips. I personally train by doing repeated STEND type workouts. Nothing
      >beats training for STREND than doing STRENDS. I have been following the
      >regimen with some minor variations for three years and at 50 I am stronger
      >than I was when I was 40. You will find that by sticking with the three
      >minute cycle in your weight training, you will train your muscles to go
      >when they are tired. The two biggest mistakes I see at STREND competitions
      >are #1 most people do not warm up enough #2 most people have not even done
      >a STREND workout before trying a STREND competition and don't realize that
      >they have to pace themselves through the STREND exercises in order to get a
      >good score. Keep in mind that bench press, military press, and dips all
      >count the same, but I can do twice as many military press as bench, and
      >twice as many dips as military press, so I am not helping myself by
      >straining for that last bench press. It is better to do your bench set
      >quickly and get the weight off of your arms, maximize your recovery time,
      >and save your arms for the later exercises. This is where the experience
      >of doing the STREND workout really helps. Once you have done it a number
      >of times, you will know exactly + or - one rep when to stop and how to
      >maximize your rep total. Same thing with the run. You need to train for
      >the transition and learn not to go out to hard in order to give your body a
      >chance to adjust from lifting to running.
      >
      >Good luck with your training. If your have specific questions. there are a
      >lot of great athletes on this board who will help you out.

> [...]
      John,

      Great advice to all current and future strenders. How is your training
      coming?

      Will you be in attendance Novermber 8th?

      Best,
      Randall

      High-speed Internet access as low as $29.95/month (depending on the local
      service providers in your area). Click here. https://broadband.msn.com
    • JOHN CARMONY
      Message 2 of 2 , Oct 1, 2003
        Hi Randall,

        I plan to be there--just need to lose about five pounds. I have been eating too many business lunches!!

        Looking forward to seeing you. How is that little one??!

        John C.
> [...]

        >count the same, but I can do twice as many military press as bench, and
        >twice as many dips as military press, so I am not helping myself by
        >straining for that last bench press. It is better to do your bench set
        >quickly and get the weight off of your arms, maximize your recovery time,
        >and save your arms for the later exercises. This is where the experience
        >of doing the STREND workout really helps. Once you have done it a number
        >of times, you will know exactly + or - one rep when to stop and how to
        >maximize your rep total. Same thing with the run. You need to train for
        >the transition and learn not to go out to hard in order to give your body a
        >chance to adjust from lifting to running.
        >
        >Good luck with your training. If your have specific questions. there are a
        >lot of great athletes on this board who will help you out.

        List Homepage:

        To go to the STREND Website:
        http://www.strend.com