Taking The Workout As A Whole

  • runner432001
    Message 1 of 3 , Jul 4, 2002
      Im starting to learn as most here already know that I have to take
      the workout as a whole and not just think because I add weight here
      or there that yes it does affect my run or in the case of today
      walk/jog.Also Im learning that at a certain point in my run(I use
      that word lightly)I feel like I recover enough to move faster>Im
      doing as Ed suggested and am starting out slowly and as he said it
      does seem to help me in my finish.Im just taking it one day at a time
      and working towards my modest goals with the help of STREND.But Ive
      got a LONG way to go.Chuck
    • skate_94538
      Message 2 of 3 , Jul 4, 2002
        Chuck,
        Eventually you must take each portion of the event and train it on
        separate days. Each discipline needs to be focussed on. If all you
        ever do is a STREND routine, you will only improve so much. To
        improve your 3 mile time, train like a world class 5000 meter runner.
        Of course you have to tone it down, but speedwork, and long runs, and
        hill sprints, and 5k road or track races will do a world of good. A
        world class miler, would not just run a hard mile every day and hope
        to improve, so likewise we need to train body parts on separate days,
        I usually hit a body part no more than once every 5 days.
        Yesterday, I toned down my chest workout as the STREND event is
        aproaching and also the track was right across the street, so as soon
        as I finished, I headed over there for some speed work, as I have a
        road mile race in Sacramento on Sunday. Randall you around?
        Usually I would do more like 20 sets of chest, but it was a decent
        workout: Body weight 146
        6 sets of free weight flat bench: 155x20
        205x8
        225x8
        245x3
        225x6
        145x30
        Weight loaded incline: 2 plates per side 200 lbs? x12
        Weight loaded vertical chest press, 215x 10
        Weight loaded decline Hammer: 3 plates per side x6 275?
        2 sets Machine incline independant arm Between 150 and 190
        Free weight Incline bench: Set of 15 at 145
        Chest machine pullovers, set of 20
        Neutral grip incline machine press: light weight x35 reps
        set of 40 pushups.

        Track workout followed:
        3/4 warmup, strides and drills inc. 3x100 down to 13.0
        2x300 with 100 walk, 45 & 44 flat
        4x150, 150 stroll back, 19.75, 19.55, 19.38, 18.87
        5:00 rest 2x400 relaxed and within myself with a 2:00 rest between
        the 400's (65.03) and (62.5)
        Jog a 200 run 200 steady 29.2, 200 recovery jog, 200 28.4
        3/4 mile cooldown
        Good workout, chest and arms feeling it big time after and during the
        workout. Thursday, my favorite Back, followed by a 4 mile run.

        Anyway Chuck Keep up the good work,
        hope to compete with you someday,

        Matt

        --- In STREND@y..., "runner432001" <sreagan@m...> wrote:
        > Im starting to learn as most here already know that I have to take
        > the workout as a whole and not just think because I add weight here
        > or there that yes it does affect my run or in the case of today
        > walk/jog.Also Im learning that at a certain point in my run(I use
        > that word lightly)I feel like I recover enough to move faster>Im
        > doing as Ed suggested and am starting out slowly and as he said it
        > does seem to help me in my finish.Im just taking it one day at a
        time
        > and working towards my modest goals with the help of STREND.But Ive
        > got a LONG way to go.Chuck
      • runner432001
        Message 3 of 3 , Jul 4, 2002
          Matt,compared to where your at I beleieve Im at the very beginning
          stages of this type of competition.In other words Im RAW.I like your
          workouts for future reference though and Im going to print them up if
          that's allright with you.I figured if I hit a plateau I would
          definately have to split my workouts...I just wasnt sure how.You have
          answered my Bench portion of the STREND comp now I was wondering what
          about pullups,chins,press,dips?I like the speed work although I dont
          have a track that close I do have a park with a good size hill thats
          about 50 yards up.Any suggestions for a speedwork day involving this
          hill?Thankyou for your help and inspiration.One of my biggest
          problems is overenthusiasm where I push it too far too fast(Ive
          already added 10 lbs to my bench and Im getting closer to bodyweight
          for 20 reps)When I was younger I adapted very quick and was able to
          get in shape fast but now I have to approach it smarter I think.Again
          thanks for taking the time to answer my questions.I appreciate