Other Comments

  • John Carmony
    Message 1 of 2 , May 2, 2001
      Hello STRENDists,

      Thanks for the input, Rick, Larry, Tom, and Mark.  Now I only have to live long enough to be able to try all of this out!

      With regards to the intervals, here I speak from 35 years of running experience (unlike my bench press).  The point of intervals is to increase your speed, which becomes increasingly important as you age and lose your speed.  The trick is to find an interval that is short enough so that you can run a pace that is race pace or faster, but long enough so that you test your endurance.  I have found that half-mile and quarter-mile intervals work the best.  They are short enough so that I can really work on my speed, but long enough so that I have got to pace and am not risking sprinting-type injuries.  Recovery time should be about two minutes for a quarter and three minutes for a half.  The problem with a mile interval is that it is hard to maintain a pace much faster than a race pace for this distance.  Running faster is not that much different than lifting.  If you want to run faster (lift more), you have to run faster (lift more).  Now there is some deep thinking!!  Or maybe this is just the "old age and treachery" that Mark referred to!

      Tom, you are right about that last rep.  You do not want to try the rep that you can't do. You will spend twice the energy and not have anything to show for it.  Better to have patience and save it for the next set or the run.

      Later.  John C.

    • Bill BBQ
      Message 2 of 2 , May 5, 2001
        Hi John, friend of Ed's here,

        I don't know how to post to the 'group' so perhaps you
        can help and pass this along.

        I'm a Marine and have been running for about 26+ years
        competitively. It was 3 years ago that I made a
        significant change.

        Instead of 3 or 5 or 6 miles 3 times p/week i would
        once a week hit the gym and run 1 mile on the
        treadmill. I'd then go out and run/walk/drag a 3
        miler.

        The significance of what I was doing was this: My run
        time was 21 minutes for 3 miles. I scaled roughly
        that
        6 minutes a mile = 9 mph
        7 minutes a mile = 8 mph
        8 minutes a mile = 7 mph
        9 minutes a mile = 6 mph

        My speed was 8 mph. I'd run the one mile on the tread
        mill at 8.5 (of course this mill had a mileage speed
        feature) That was it. One mile a week at half a mile
        faster than my race pace.

        I dropped my run time dramatically. I ran a 17:30 3
        miler less than a year later.

        I think a once a week or two "powermile" on a
        treadmill helps. What do you think?

        http://auctions.yahoo.com/