New to Strend

  • Eugene Charie
    Message 1 of 13 , Nov 3, 2009
      Hi to all STREND people!  My name is Gene and have recently joined. I am a chemist by trade and have been into physical fitness ever since my days in the U.S.M.C. I was interested in taking my fitness to the next level and a friend told me about you. I will be hitting the big "50" this Feb. and have been really been serious about training. From what I have read, this is exactly what I'm looking for! Hope to compete/meet some of you soon!     Gene

    • JOHN CARMONY
      Message 2 of 13 , Nov 4, 2009
        Welcome to STREND, Gene. We are a small but inspired group.

        I started training for STREND about 10 years ago at age 48 and still love it although the years are slowing me down.

        Now I am into the maintenance phase of life-just trying to avoid injury so I can keep playing with the "kids".

        Hope to see you at the next STREND!

        John Carmony

        Message 3 of 13 , Nov 5, 2009
          Hi John!  Thanx for the welcome. I hope I can bend your ear and others for suggestions on training and staying in STREND shape. I must admit that with the disciplines and time factor that there maybe is a better way to train. Also, I guess that the web site for STREND will update me as to competitions/gatherings (I live in Rhode Island....... not exactly an oasis for locales.....     Hope to see you all soon!    Gene

          ________________________________

          Message 4 of 13 , Nov 5, 2009
            Welcome onboard, Eugene (and David.) I am always inspired when someone takes up Strend who is older than I am. (At 34 I suppose that doesn't make me too old.) I really believe a Strend a week is the fountain of youth.
            Speaking of which I've sort of fallen out of the fitness loop. I was just married last month so I need to get back on track. Knowing a Strend competition is looming in the horizon will really get me hitting those dreaded track intervals. How is the April Strend looking Matt? Would be good to have some new recruits! So hope to see Eugene and David as well as some veterans out there.
            Keep Strending,Chris
            P.S.- I did 50 pull-ups in 7:30 minutes wearing a 40-pound weight vest last week (I guess there is fitness after marriage.)

            Message 5 of 13 , Nov 5, 2009
              Hi Gene.

              Best way to train, I think, is to do lots of STREND practice runs. Your muscles need to get use to the reps and the 3 minute time constraints. After you have done it a while, it seems like the only way to train. And you can easily measure your improvement, which if you stick with it, will be dramatic. There is something about the 3 minute cycle that really makes you very strong.

              You are in luck being in RI. Dan Ganley and Son put on a STREND in Syracuse each summer. Just up the road for you! It is a great time with good volunteers and equipment. I highly recommend you talk to Dan and put it on your schedule.

              JC

              Message 6 of 13 , Nov 5, 2009
                Chris,

                The new wife should be impressed! Congratulations!

                JC

                Hi to all STREND people! My name is Gene and have recently joined. I am a chemist by trade and have been into physical fitness ever since my days in the U.S.M.C. I was interested in taking my fitness to the next level and a friend told me about you. I will be hitting the big "50" this Feb. and have been really been serious about training. From what I have read, this is exactly what I'm looking for! Hope to compete/meet some of you soon! Gene

              • Matt Bogdanowicz
                Message 7 of 13 , Nov 9, 2009
                  I will check up with Mark later this week on the April STREND on Treasure Island.
                  The sooner a date is nailed down the better, so we can promote and encourage registration and participation.
                  Good job on the pull ups.   Intervals are never really fun, but necessary.  Today I did 7 x 880 in an average of 2:30 with 1:40 rests.  I am just about in 16:30 5K shape so fall road racing is looking good.  I'll test myself on Saturday, afater one more bout of long interval training on Wednesday, including two 2400 meters at 5K pace and then 2 quick 1,000's with short recovery.

                  Message 8 of 13 , Nov 10, 2009
                    INSPIRED is the word!  Heck you inspire me John.

                    That 60+ record is waiting for you!
                    Matt

                    Message 9 of 13 , Nov 11, 2009
                      Thanks Matt.

                      First, I have to live that long.

                      Second, avoid injury.

                      Third, keep Strending!

                      I enjoy reading about your workouts. Pretty darn impressive!

                      Hope to see you next spring!

                      JC

                      Message 10 of 13 , Nov 19, 2009
                        I was wondering if someone could help me with a question re: repetitions. Am I pausing at the top and bottom of each rep waiting for the command to go up? If so, how quickly does the official allow another repetition? This will greatly help me on training properly for each discipline. Thanx! Gene

                        ________________________________

                        Message 11 of 13 , Nov 19, 2009
                          Gene,

                          You do not have to pause, just lock out and keep moving. The judge should be looking for the lock out, not the pause, although like anything with judges, there can be a lot of variation in how they call it. Even locking-out can be debatable, so in many of the competitions, they put a bungee under your feet at near full extension for the pullups and chins.

                          Bench - very straight forward Lockout to chest
                          Pullups and chins - lockout but don't hang there as that will eat up your reps. Bungees make it fairer.
                          Military - lockout to back of neck. Pretty straight forward.
                          Dips. - lockout to upper arm parallel with the dip bar.

                          The important thing is to train as strictly as you can.

                          Most judges are very fair and do the best they can, although some are just not as experienced as the athletes are.

                          Hope this helps.

                          JC

                          Message 12 of 13 , Nov 21, 2009
                            As usual John, thanx for the help! This will help my training!   Gene