Bench workout

  • Matt
    Message 1 of 3 , Aug 10, 2009
      Bench prep. workout.

      200 175 155 140 90 second rests between sets. Sets to failure.

      You could use whatever weights best suit you, I just used 140% of my weight as the first set and then went from there, basically down to the weight I would use in an open STREND if I weighed in at 142 (140)

      I did 10/15/15/15 really had to dig for that final set.

      A few weeks back 23 reps for 115% of my weight, so I am pretty sure I could hit 35-36 reps of bodyweight.

      Anyway, to tone this workout out down, just try 3 sets at first, maybe 10lbs over your weight, then your bodyweight, then 10lbs under.

      Women: 70% of BW 1st set, 60% 2nd set and 50% for a third and final set.
    • Chris Lele
      Message 2 of 3 , Aug 12, 2009
        So I tried the bench work out. I didn't have a spotter so I wasn't able
        to go to failure but I posted some pretty decent numbers. I weigh
        147 so I'm a little above competition weight, which I'd peg at about
        145. My numbers are as follows:

        205-- 10 reps
        185--10 reps
        165--15 reps
        145--27 reps

        I'd like to try it to failure so I can try pumping out more in the first set
        and maybe go for 15 at 185.

        I'm going to try a variant on weighted pull-ups and see how it works
        out. Maybe do +50--30--20-- free. For now, I got to get my running
        back to where it was earlier this year. Time for those track intervals :(.

        Message 3 of 3 , Aug 12, 2009
          27 reps at the end is amazing!  With 90 second breaks?  You should be able to get 40 reps on bench!
          Yes, I will try the weighted pull ups tonight.  My weighted chain belt is 2lbs, so (47, 32, 17, and bodyweight- all with 90 seconds rest)   Should be interesting.

          Today's interval workout;  warm-up and strides:  5x 500 (basically a full lap and a 100 straightaway)  1:23(fastest) to 1:28 the slowest  Average was 2 full seconds over 1:25(avg)so 1:25.4  If you are wondering what type of Mile race pace that is: 4:33 mile.
          So with the slow 300 jog in between it was fairly tough.  Followed up with 5 x 200
          32 down to 29 seconds, diagonal walk jog across field back to start.