Age 90 Long jump, pole vault, etc.

  • Matt
    Message 1 of 13 , Oct 26, 2005
      http://www.masterstrack.com/gallery/pellmann
      90 year old, seven world records!

      Someone in one of those photos looks pretty familiar.

      Hope everyone is training well and feeling healthy!

      Matt
    • JOHN CARMONY
      Message 2 of 13 , Oct 26, 2005
        Old Don was pretty darn spunky, all right. He took two jumps in the pole vault--including warm-ups. Both were world records, of course thanks to the efficiency of the USATF pole vault official in the pictures. Don could probably do a pretty decent STREND! Age graded? We would all be in trouble!

        JC
        Someone in one of those photos looks pretty familiar.

        Hope everyone is training well and feeling healthy!

        Matt

        Community email addresses:
        Post message: STREND@...<mailto:STREND@...>
        Subscribe: STREND-subscribe@...<mailto:STREND-subscribe@...>

        List Homepage:

        To go to the STREND Website:
        http://www.strend.com<http://www.strend.com/>
        Yahoo! Groups Links

      • greg_damian
        Message 3 of 13 , Oct 27, 2005
          Did you jump John? If so, how did you do?
        • JOHN CARMONY
          Message 4 of 13 , Oct 27, 2005
            Hi Greg,

            Not that great--11 or 11'6", but I have been working on my invert and am getting back into form! My goal is 13' this winter! I have made 12'6" a couple of times in practice. Just need to do it in a meet. I need to stay ahead of some of the high school girls I coach!

            How is the Strend training going?

            Message 5 of 13 , Oct 27, 2005
              I have had an adductor injury that has kept me from running very
              much, but I rode over 500 miles in September so that was good. I am
              lifting 3 days per week right now, but I won't concentrate on strend
              or pullups until after the first of the year, probably starting in
              March.

              --- In STREND@yahoogroups.com, "JOHN CARMONY" <jcar75@m...> wrote:

              > Hi Greg,
              >
              > Not that great--11 or 11'6", but I have been working on my invert
              and am getting back into form! My goal is 13' this winter! I have
              made 12'6" a couple of times in practice. Just need to do it in a
              meet. I need to stay ahead of some of the high school girls I coach!

              > How is the Strend training going?

              REND>

              > To go to the STREND Website:
              > http://www.strend.com<http://www.strend.com/>
              > Yahoo! Groups Links

            • stephen wilber
              Message 6 of 13 , Oct 27, 2005
                Hi there. I have been doing so many strend workouts the last 2 months I need a break,.I am getting worn out. I do them 3 times a week and 2-3 each time...not 2-3 times the running though..I also have been using some heavy weights and light weight variations. But what do you do for the break or down time? just eat and get fat? I am nervous about that.
                How does a 90 yr old guy still do all that?
                steve

                greg_damian <greg_damian@...> wrote:
                I have had an adductor injury that has kept me from running very
                much, but I rode over 500 miles in September so that was good. I am
                lifting 3 days per week right now, but I won't concentrate on strend
                or pullups until after the first of the year, probably starting in
                March.

                --- In STREND@yahoogroups.com, "JOHN CARMONY" <jcar75@m...> wrote:

                > Hi Greg,
                >
                > Not that great--11 or 11'6", but I have been working on my invert
                and am getting back into form! My goal is 13' this winter! I have
                made 12'6" a couple of times in practice. Just need to do it in a
                meet. I need to stay ahead of some of the high school girls I coach!

                > How is the Strend training going?

                REND>

                > To go to the STREND Website:
                > http://www.strend.com<http://www.strend.com/>
                > Yahoo! Groups Links

                Community email addresses:
                Post message: STREND@...
                Subscribe: STREND-subscribe@...

                List Homepage:

                To go to the STREND Website:
                http://www.strend.com

                Sport nutrition Sports nutrition supplement Extreme sports Sports nutrition products Sports nutrition diet Sports nutrition bar

              • JOHN CARMONY
                Message 7 of 13 , Oct 27, 2005
                  He did not wear himself out as a young man. Take it easy, Steve. Save some for your 50's, 60's, and 70's! And your Strend scores will probably increase now, too!

                  JC

                  subscribe@Y<mailto:subscribe@Y>...>

                  > List Homepage:

                  REND>

                  > To go to the STREND Website:
                  > http://www.strend.com<http://www.strend.com/<http://www.strend.com<http://www.strend.com/>>
                  > Yahoo! Groups Links

                  Community email addresses:
                  Post message: STREND@...<mailto:STREND@...>
                  Subscribe: STREND-subscribe@...<mailto:STREND-subscribe@...>

                  List Homepage:

                  To go to the STREND Website:
                  http://www.strend.com<http://www.strend.com/>

                  Sport nutrition Sports nutrition supplement Extreme sports Sports nutrition products Sports nutrition diet Sports nutrition bar

                  Community email addresses:
                  Post message: STREND@...<mailto:STREND@...>
                  Subscribe: STREND-subscribe@...<mailto:STREND-subscribe@...>

                  List Homepage:

                  Message 8 of 13 , Oct 28, 2005
                    Steve, If you are not giving your muscles a chance to recover from
                    your workouts, you may be getting weaker instead of stronger (by
                    tearing down the muscle before it has had a chance to recover and
                    compensate for the stimulation - the growth phase). The good news is
                    that with proper stimulation, nutrition and rest, the muscles are
                    programmed to hypertrophy (get larger, stronger). It's a survival
                    instinct that we all have.

                    For me anyway, the reason I weight train is to get stronger! I keep
                    a detailed log of what I do in my workouts. Every time I go into the
                    gym, I set the expectation that I am going to be stronger that in
                    the last workout (except for high rep work like STREND, I only do
                    the same routine once per week). I lift more weight or do more reps
                    with the same weight.

                    unsubscribe@Y...<mailto:STREND<mailto:STREND-

                    > > List Homepage:

                    > REND>
                    > >
                    > > To go to the STREND Website:

                    http://www.strend.com<http://www.strend.com/<http://www.strend.com<ht
                    tp://www.strend.com/>>
                    > > Yahoo! Groups Links

                    > Community email addresses:
                    > Post message: STREND@Y...<mailto:STREND@Y...>
                    > Subscribe: STREND-subscribe@Y...<mailto:STREND-
                    subscribe@Y...>

                    > List Homepage:

                    REND>

                    > To go to the STREND Website:
                    > http://www.strend.com<http://www.strend.com/>

                    > Sport nutrition Sports nutrition supplement Extreme sports
                    Sports nutrition products Sports nutrition diet Sports nutrition bar

                    Service.

                    > Community email addresses:
                    > Post message: STREND@Y...<mailto:STREND@Y...>
                    > Subscribe: STREND-subscribe@Y...<mailto:STREND-
                    subscribe@Y...>

                    > List Homepage:

                    REND>

                    > To go to the STREND Website:
                    > http://www.strend.com<http://www.strend.com/>
                    > Yahoo! Groups Links

                  • stephen wilber
                    Message 9 of 13 , Oct 28, 2005
                      thanks for the advice Greg,,I do get your point, however, I see one difference with getting stronger (which is what I always use to lift for when I played football and just lifted) and the strend competition. With the increase of your strend totals, I dont think it necessarily means getting stronger (1 rep max) to increase your strend results. Part of the reason is that I think the muscle for endurance (which is really what we are trying to increase) is not proportional to the muscle used in absolute power. For example, Just because you can do 10 dips with 100 lbs on your waist doesnt mean you will be able to do 75 dips..at least at first. But the muscles need to be trained to work on shorter rest, and go longer which is why I do a lot of strend workouts with supersetting (bench and pullups together then rest 2-3 minutes, MP and chins, then dips),,and other times I do each lift with only 2 minutes or less rest..I know this doesnt make me stronger but it encourages the muscles to
                      respond faster and go longer. But too many of these workouts will decrease ones overall strength like you said. I also do 3 types of strends with respect to weight..one day I use about high percentages of my body weight (bp, pullups, and chins 40% extra of body weight or more, MP-75% of body weight and dips 50% extra of body weight. The second day I use regular standard weights and the 3rd day a moderate weight like the strends they had a few yrs ago.
                      My numbers have definitely gone up (even though my bench is not near what it needs to be)
                      But after these intense workouts for about 1 month (3 times a week) I need to back off like you said and build a base again..

                      What suggestions for increasing bench do you have? Everything else I am really doing well in..but maybe since its only been 3 months that I have been working out for strend , I need to take a break and build back up again??

                      Its really great to hear about other guys working out. all my life I have enjoyed killing myself and I looked for ways to make it useful. This is really great..
                      thanks a lot
                      steve

                      greg_damian <greg_damian@...> wrote:
                      Steve, If you are not giving your muscles a chance to recover from
                      your workouts, you may be getting weaker instead of stronger (by
                      tearing down the muscle before it has had a chance to recover and
                      compensate for the stimulation - the growth phase). The good news is
                      that with proper stimulation, nutrition and rest, the muscles are
                      programmed to hypertrophy (get larger, stronger). It's a survival
                      instinct that we all have.

                      For me anyway, the reason I weight train is to get stronger! I keep
                      a detailed log of what I do in my workouts. Every time I go into the
                      gym, I set the expectation that I am going to be stronger that in
                      the last workout (except for high rep work like STREND, I only do
                      the same routine once per week). I lift more weight or do more reps
                      with the same weight.

                      --- In STREND@yahoogroups.com, "JOHN CARMONY" <jcar75@m...> wrote:

                      > He did not wear himself out as a young man. Take it easy, Steve.
                      Save some for your 50's, 60's, and 70's! And your Strend scores
                      will probably increase now, too!

                      > JC

                      REND>

                      > To go to the STREND Website:
                      > http://www.strend.com<http://www.strend.com/>

                      > Sport nutrition Sports nutrition supplement Extreme sports
                      Sports nutrition products Sports nutrition diet Sports nutrition bar

                      Service.

                      > Community email addresses:
                      > Post message: STREND@Y...<mailto:STREND@Y...>
                      > Subscribe: STREND-subscribe@Y...<mailto:STREND-
                      subscribe@Y...>

                      > List Homepage:

                      REND>

                      > To go to the STREND Website:
                      > http://www.strend.com<http://www.strend.com/>
                      > Yahoo! Groups Links

                      Community email addresses:
                      Post message: STREND@...
                      Subscribe: STREND-subscribe@...

                      List Homepage:

                      Message 10 of 13 , Oct 28, 2005
                        My belief is that by having more muscle mass, you will be a better
                        endurance athlete. I want to develop as much contractile tissue as
                        possible (which is only possible through low repitition stimulation)
                        and then convert that contractile tissue into an endurance monster!
                        There definately are physiological adaptations that occur as a result
                        of endurance stimulation (more mitochondria, more of the Krebs cycle
                        enzymes, etc) but you'll lose it if not constantly stimulated.

                        Since there isn't a STREND competition even scheduled for 2006, I
                        have to assume that the earliest anyone would be competing is the
                        spring. For me, I target about two months prior to the competition to
                        convert from strength training to endurance training. At that point I
                        would only do STREND workouts that have been documented on this board
                        previously.

                        Everyone approaches this subject differently so get everyone's
                        opinion, go through the prior posting, and them try some approaches
                        out and see what works for you. If you aren't getting results, try
                        something different.

                        --- In STREND@yahoogroups.com, stephen wilber <stevie720@y...> wrote:

> [...]
                        is
                        > that with proper stimulation, nutrition and rest, the muscles are
                        > programmed to hypertrophy (get larger, stronger). It's a survival
                        > instinct that we all have.
                        >
                        > For me anyway, the reason I weight train is to get stronger! I keep
                        > a detailed log of what I do in my workouts. Every time I go into
                        the
                        > gym, I set the expectation that I am going to be stronger that in
                        > the last workout (except for high rep work like STREND, I only do
                        > the same routine once per week). I lift more weight or do more reps
                        > with the same weight.
                        >
                        > --- In STREND@yahoogroups.com, "JOHN CARMONY" <jcar75@m...> wrote:
                        > >
                        > > He did not wear himself out as a young man. Take it easy,
                        Steve.
                        > Save some for your 50's, 60's, and 70's! And your Strend scores

                      • Matt Bogdanowicz
                        Message 11 of 13 , Oct 28, 2005
                          Spend a couple of months going heavy on bench, then go back to high reps.

                          You are right that there is no direct correlation between high reps and power, but if you take the top STRENDERS you will find that overall these guys are pretty strong in their own right, and usually will have a regiment throughout the year the mixes up both power and strength training with endurance and less weight higher rep training. If nothing else it prevents the muscles from adapting in a linear fashion, keeps them guessing, and provides a base for future contests.

                          Matt

                          stephen wilber <stevie720@...> wrote:
> [...]

                          tearing down the muscle before it has had a chance to recover and
                          compensate for the stimulation - the growth phase). The good news is
                          that with proper stimulation, nutrition and rest, the muscles are
                          programmed to hypertrophy (get larger, stronger). It's a survival
                          instinct that we all have.

                          For me anyway, the reason I weight train is to get stronger! I keep
                          a detailed log of what I do in my workouts. Every time I go into the
                          gym, I set the expectation that I am going to be stronger that in
                          the last workout (except for high rep work like STREND, I only do
                          the same routine once per week). I lift more weight or do more reps
                          with the same weight.

                          --- In STREND@yahoogroups.com, "JOHN CARMONY" <jcar75@m...> wrote:

                          > He did not wear himself out as a young man. Take it easy, Steve.
                          Save some for your 50's, 60's, and 70's! And your Strend scores

                          REND>

                          > To go to the STREND Website:
                          > http://www.strend.com<http://www.strend.com/>

                          > Sport nutrition Sports nutrition supplement Extreme sports
                          Sports nutrition products Sports nutrition diet Sports nutrition bar

                          Service.

                          > Community email addresses:
                          > Post message: STREND@Y...<mailto:STREND@Y...>
                          > Subscribe: STREND-subscribe@Y...<mailto:STREND-
                          subscribe@Y...>

                          > List Homepage:

                          REND>

                          > To go to the STREND Website:
                          > http://www.strend.com<http://www.strend.com/>
                          > Yahoo! Groups Links

                          Community email addresses:
                          Post message: STREND@...
                          Subscribe: STREND-subscribe@...

                          List Homepage:

                          To go to the STREND Website:
                          http://www.strend.com

                          Sport nutrition Sports nutrition supplement Extreme sports Sports nutrition products Sports nutrition diet Sports nutrition bar

                          Community email addresses:
                          Post message: STREND@...
                          Subscribe: STREND-subscribe@...

                          List Homepage:

                          To go to the STREND Website:
                          http://www.strend.com

                          Sport nutrition Sports nutrition supplement Extreme sports Sports nutrition products Sports nutrition diet Sports nutrition bar

                          ---------------------------------

                          "The hardest struggle of all is to be something different from what the average man is."

                        • Tony Armijo
                          Message 12 of 13 , Nov 1, 2005
                            How does one get started with STREND? Where can I find
                            information on workouts and exercise programs? How
                            about competitions?

                            http://mail.yahoo.com
                          • JOHN CARMONY
                            Message 13 of 13 , Nov 1, 2005