Maxing Out

  • strend666
    Message 1 of 7 , Aug 15, 2005
      This past July Myself and my son Danny took part in our first Strend
      event. The Event was in Hamilton Ontario and Leslie and the crew did a
      great job. Running this past weekend with a group of non-strenders one
      of the guys said "instead of maxing out on all of your lifts why not
      stop one or two short, that way you would not be so spent for the run.
      Of course my answer was thats the whole point maxing out and dieing on
      the run...but then I started thinking (always a problem) maybe you
      could actually get a better score by not killing yourself for that
      last rep or two. Anybody got any throughts on the subject. Thanks Dan
      Ganley
    • Matt Bogdanowicz
      Message 2 of 7 , Aug 15, 2005
        Any experienced STRENDER will tell you that is not a bad idea. Three push and two pull exercises. Back off a rep or two on the bench, and you will easily make it up plus a rep or two on the shoulder or dips. Remember dips are the shortest range of motion and a discipline that can yield a bounty of reps if you concentrate on them.
        Remember the more reps you do, the more fatigued you are for the run.
        However it depends on your competition. If you know someone is going to score 120 reps or they went before you and scored 120 reps, and you are capable of 140 reps but are a slower runner you have to take into consideration how much each rep is worth compared to the run.
        140 and a 20 minute run is a 7.0 120 and a 17:08.5 run is about a 7.0. 20 rep difference but the athlete had to run about 172 seconds faster to beat you. So it paid off to get the higher reps. That is like 8.6 seconds a rep! Makes sense to go for as many reps as possible and just do your best on the run.

        This ratio changes depending on the athletes involved and how many reps they are capable of achieving. I.E. Athlete A 205 reps and a 20:00 run (10.25) and athlete B capable of 187 reps needs a sub 18:15 run time to equal or beat athlete A.
        The difference is only 1:45 or so on the three mile run - or about 5.83 seconds per rep.
        A bit more complicated. Bottom line- is play your strengths. The better runner usually has the advantage coming off the weights unless he is just a pure runner and does not have much strength, because running is finite. There is a limit to how fast you can go. You can always score an extra rep or two. If you only score 100 and you are trying to beat a guy who just did 200 reps, it is not really possible, even if 200 reps divided by a 28:00 run time = 7.1428
        100/7.1428 = 14:00. If you could run 3 miles in 14 minutes after 100 reps, you would not be at a STREND competition because you would be capable of 13:15 or better in an open 5,000 meters and be sponsored by NIKE. You get the picture.

        Hope that helps. Best to practice different scenarios in the gym before testing it out in an actual comp.

        Matt

        strend666 <strend666@...> wrote:
        This past July Myself and my son Danny took part in our first Strend
        event. The Event was in Hamilton Ontario and Leslie and the crew did a
        great job. Running this past weekend with a group of non-strenders one
        of the guys said "instead of maxing out on all of your lifts why not
        stop one or two short, that way you would not be so spent for the run.
        Of course my answer was thats the whole point maxing out and dieing on
        the run...but then I started thinking (always a problem) maybe you
        could actually get a better score by not killing yourself for that
        last rep or two. Anybody got any throughts on the subject. Thanks Dan
        Ganley

        Community email addresses:
        Post message: STREND@...
        Subscribe: STREND-subscribe@...

        List Homepage:

        To go to the STREND Website:
        http://www.strend.com

        Extreme sports World championships Muscular strength Sport nutrition Sport fishing Sports trophy

        ---------------------------------

        "The hardest struggle of all is to be something different from what the average man is."

      • daniel ganley

          Message 4 of 7 , Aug 15, 2005
            That is the advantage of doing lots of STRENDs as part of your workout sequence. When you get to the real thing, you will know exactly when to stop. That last rep that you struggle with and can't do will kill your score. Struggling for an extra bench on the first rotation will cost you 4 dips at the end.

            JC

            PS Matt--How is the bunny?

            Matt Bogdanowicz <skate_94538@...<mailto:skate_94538@...>> wrote:Any experienced STRENDER will tell you that is not a bad idea. Three push and two pull exercises. Back off a rep or two on the bench, and you will easily make it up plus a rep or two on the shoulder or dips. Remember dips are the shortest range of motion and a discipline that can yield a bounty of reps if you concentrate on them.

            strend666 <strend666@...<mailto:strend666@...>> wrote:
            This past July Myself and my son Danny took part in our first Strend
            event. The Event was in Hamilton Ontario and Leslie and the crew did a
            great job. Running this past weekend with a group of non-strenders one
            of the guys said "instead of maxing out on all of your lifts why not
            stop one or two short, that way you would not be so spent for the run.
            Of course my answer was thats the whole point maxing out and dieing on
            the run...but then I started thinking (always a problem) maybe you
            could actually get a better score by not killing yourself for that
            last rep or two. Anybody got any throughts on the subject. Thanks Dan
            Ganley

            Community email addresses:
            Post message: STREND@...<mailto:STREND@...>
            Subscribe: STREND-subscribe@...<mailto:STREND-subscribe@...>

            List Homepage:

            To go to the STREND Website:
            http://www.strend.com<http://www.strend.com/>

            Extreme sports World championships Muscular strength Sport nutrition Sport fishing Sports trophy

            ---------------------------------

            "The hardest struggle of all is to be something different from what the average man is."

            Community email addresses:
            Post message: STREND@...<mailto:STREND@...>
            Subscribe: STREND-subscribe@...<mailto:STREND-subscribe@...>

            List Homepage:

            To go to the STREND Website:
            http://www.strend.com<http://www.strend.com/>

            Extreme sports World championships Muscular strength Sport nutrition Sport fishing Sports trophy

            ---------------------------------

            Community email addresses:
            Post message: STREND@...<mailto:STREND@...>
            Subscribe: STREND-subscribe@...<mailto:STREND-subscribe@...>

            List Homepage:

            To go to the STREND Website:
            http://www.strend.com<http://www.strend.com/>
            Yahoo! Groups Links

          • Matt
            Message 5 of 7 , Aug 25, 2005
              Howdy John,

              I was chasing that little guy around today, and I could not catch
              him, he is part of my reflex training.
              How is the pole vault going?

              I took a silver at the masters in Hawaii mens 1500

              http://coach-al.smugmug.com/gallery/716400/2/31352774

              Never got a chance to give Ed a call.

              Results of the mens 50-54 Pole vault
              1 Mead, Murray M51 Octane Track 3.95m
              2 Worcester, John M54 Unattached 3.80m
              3 Sparks, Doug M52 Unattached 3.50m
              4 Jacquet-Acea, Russell M52 Unattached 3.20m
              5 Costello, Vincent M52 Hawaii Maste 3.20m

              The listed WR is 4.73

              Rankings
              M50 POLE VAULT
              World Record: 4.73 Wolfgang Ritte (GER) 05/16/04
              American Record: 4.57 Jerry Cash (OR) 07/08/00
              All-American Standard: 3.55

              4.12 DANIEL WEST (081)
              4.11 MURRAY MEAD (121)
              4.10 TERRY PORTER (292)
              4.09 MIKE HOGAN (023)
              3.96 KEITH PETRANEK (073)
              3.96 STEVEN HARDISON (142)
              3.95 JOHN WORCESTER (292)
              3.75 BOB SPARKS (228*)

              in two years you will have to join me in Maine for the 2007 Master
              outdoor champs

              --- In STREND@yahoogroups.com, "JOHN CARMONY" <jcar75@m...> wrote:
              > That is the advantage of doing lots of STRENDs as part of your
              workout sequence. When you get to the real thing, you will know
              exactly when to stop. That last rep that you struggle with and
              can't do will kill your score. Struggling for an extra bench on the
              first rotation will cost you 4 dips at the end.

              > JC
              >
              > PS Matt--How is the bunny?

              REND>

              > To go to the STREND Website:
              > http://www.strend.com<http://www.strend.com/>

              > Extreme sports World championships Muscular strength Sport
              nutrition Sport fishing Sports trophy

              Service.

              > ---------------------------------
              >

              > "The hardest struggle of all is to be something different from
              what the average man is."

              > Community email addresses:
              > Post message: STREND@Y...<mailto:STREND@Y...>
              > Subscribe: STREND-subscribe@Y...<mailto:STREND-
              subscribe@Y...>

              > List Homepage:

              REND>

              > To go to the STREND Website:
              > http://www.strend.com<http://www.strend.com/>

              > Extreme sports World championships Muscular strength Sport
              nutrition Sport fishing Sports trophy

              Service.

              > ---------------------------------

              > Community email addresses:
              > Post message: STREND@Y...<mailto:STREND@Y...>
              > Subscribe: STREND-subscribe@Y...<mailto:STREND-
              subscribe@Y...>

              > List Homepage:

              REND>

              > To go to the STREND Website:
              > http://www.strend.com<http://www.strend.com/>
              > Yahoo! Groups Links

            • JOHN CARMONY
              Message 6 of 7 , Aug 25, 2005
                Hey Matt,

                Thanks for the update and the PV rankings. Congratulations on the silver medal in the 1500. The guy that beat you must have been really tough!!

                I am jumping at the CO State Fair street vault in Pueblo tomorrow. Heck of a lot of fun. On a good day I can still jump close to 4 meters, although I have yet to do it in a meet. We will have two 18 footers to watch--Pat Manson, my part time training partner (I am good at putting the bar up for him!), and Paul Gensic from the Air Force Academy. Great athletes--almost as good as some of the STREND athletes I know.

                I think I set another world record the other night--at least for 50 year olds.. Speed pole vaulting. I made 7'6" 6 times in a minute for a score of 45! Wow--that may be my new area of specialization. I will have to start working on quick reps, lots of repetitions---you know the drill. All that STREND training comes in handy particularly on the last rep --focus, focus!!.

                Maine 2007. I will mark it in my book. Anytime you want to come to Colorado and run one of the track meets here you are always welcome. I am just about single again--after 30 years--so I will have lots of room!

                Tell Sonia I said "Hi"!

                JC

                http://coach-al.smugmug.com/gallery/716400/2/31352774<http://coach-al.smugmug.com/gallery/716400/2/31352774>

                subscribe@Y<mailto:subscribe@Y>...>

                > List Homepage:

                REND>

                > To go to the STREND Website:
                > http://www.strend.com<http://www.strend.com/<http://www.strend.com<http://www.strend.com/>>

                > Extreme sports World championships Muscular strength Sport
                nutrition Sport fishing Sports trophy

                Service.

                > ---------------------------------
                >

                > "The hardest struggle of all is to be something different from
                what the average man is."

                > Community email addresses:
                > Post message: STREND@Y...<mailto:STREND@Y<mailto:STREND@Y...<mailto:STREND@Y>...>
                > Subscribe: STREND-subscribe@Y...<mailto:STREND<mailto:STREND-subscribe@Y...<mailto:STREND>-
                subscribe@Y<mailto:subscribe@Y>...>

                > List Homepage:

                REND>

                > To go to the STREND Website:
                > http://www.strend.com<http://www.strend.com/<http://www.strend.com<http://www.strend.com/>>

                > Extreme sports World championships Muscular strength Sport
                nutrition Sport fishing Sports trophy

                Service.

                > ---------------------------------

                > Community email addresses:
                > Post message: STREND@Y...<mailto:STREND@Y<mailto:STREND@Y...<mailto:STREND@Y>...>
                > Subscribe: STREND-subscribe@Y...<mailto:STREND<mailto:STREND-subscribe@Y...<mailto:STREND>-
                subscribe@Y<mailto:subscribe@Y>...>

                > List Homepage:

                REND>

                > To go to the STREND Website:
                > http://www.strend.com<http://www.strend.com/<http://www.strend.com<http://www.strend.com/>>
                > Yahoo! Groups Links

                Community email addresses:
                Post message: STREND@...<mailto:STREND@...>
                Subscribe: STREND-subscribe@...<mailto:STREND-subscribe@...>

                List Homepage:

                To go to the STREND Website:
                http://www.strend.com<http://www.strend.com/>
                Yahoo! Groups Links

              • Carol Jaxon
                Message 7 of 7 , Aug 26, 2005
                  Matt -

                  Sorry we missed you in Hawaii. Depending on when you were here we might
                  have been in Tahiti and Rapa Nui on an archeological tour with my mom &
                  sister. If anyone is ever on Oahu in Hawaii, please don¹t hesitate to
                  contact Ed. He loves to have STREND people visit to talk about training.
                  Just send a message to the group and we¹ll respond.

                  Ed and Carol