Re: [STAudio] Buzzing in ADC&DAC 2000 output

  • David Lind
    Message 1 of 9 , Mar 1, 2004
      It could still be an earth problem.

      DL
      ----- Original Message -----
      From: "Dean Fowler" <dean@...>
      To: <STAudio@yahoogroups.com>
      Sent: Monday, March 01, 2004 3:01 PM
      Subject: Re: [STAudio] Buzzing in ADC&DAC 2000 output

      > At the moment, I have a direct out on my mixer connected to a patchbay,
      then
      > to the input of the C-Port. I have been recording one mic only on this
      > project.
      >
      > Dean

    • DJ Scott-e
      Message 2 of 9 , Mar 1, 2004
        Have you tried pluging the mic directly into the c-port and seeing if
        the noise is still there. IN's 1 and 2 are pre-amped so the can take a
        mic directly plugging into them. If the nboise disappears you no there
        is a problem in you mixer or patchbay

        DJ Scott-e

        > What do you have running into the Inputs of the C-Port?
        >
        > I had this problem and it was caused by a ground-loop between my
        keyboard
        and the C-Port (ADC/DAC2000). I got rid of it by running my keyboard
        without
        the ground (ripped off the earth pin on the extension board supplying
        power
        to keyboard). the earth signal then didn't travel back to the C-Port.
        You
        may want to try this even if just to confirm if that is the problem,
        then
        find a safer solution if you want to. hope that helps,

        > Jordan

        Yahoo! Groups Links
      • Dean Fowler
        Message 3 of 9 , Mar 1, 2004
          I have not tried that, exactly. However, I have turned power off to
          everything - mixer, outboard gear, etc., and run the outs 1 and 2 directly
          into my power amp, and still get the buzz or humm. Having done that, is
          there still a possibility of a problem with one of the other pieces of
          equipment?

          Thanks,
          Dean

          > Have you tried pluging the mic directly into the c-port and seeing if
          > the noise is still there. IN's 1 and 2 are pre-amped so the can take a
          > mic directly plugging into them. If the nboise disappears you no there
          > is a problem in you mixer or patchbay
          >
          > DJ Scott-e

        • Lauri Sydänmaanlakka
          Message 4 of 9 , Mar 1, 2004
            Hi,

            When you run the output in to the power amp, did you unplug the other connections?
            I´m asking becouse i think your hum is coused by ground loop.
            When you test outputs directly in to the power amp, you must unplug all the other connections between your computer, mixer and power amp.
            Make sure there is just signal leads from DAC 2000 outputs connected to the inputs of your power amp. And if the main leads of your computer and power amp are both earthed, you must
            unconnect the shield from one end of your signal (audio) cables.
            You realy have to make sure that theres no ground loop (that is: equipment connected to ground with more than one way, which makes the loop that picks electromagnetic hum. The bigger the loop the greater the hum.)
            If your system still makes the noise, the trouble is elsewhere.

            Lauri

            > I have not tried that, exactly. However, I have turned power off to
            > everything - mixer, outboard gear, etc., and run the outs 1 and 2 directly
            > into my power amp, and still get the buzz or humm. Having done that, is
            > there still a possibility of a problem with one of the other pieces of
            > equipment?
            >
            > Thanks,
            > Dean
          • Lauri Sydänmaanlakka
            Message 5 of 9 , Mar 1, 2004
              This ground loop thingy exsists no matter if some of the equipments are powered up or shut down.
              Lauri
            • dean@ouachitahills.com
              Message 6 of 9 , Mar 1, 2004
                No, I did not unplug the other connections. I will to that when I get
                back in the studio tonight. I know almost nothing about ground loops, and
                this problem is really upsetting me.

                Thanks for your help.

                Dean

                > Hi,
                >
                > When you run the output in to the power amp, did you unplug the other
                > connections?
                > I´m asking becouse i think your hum is coused by ground loop.
                > When you test outputs directly in to the power amp, you must unplug all
                > the other connections between your computer, mixer and power amp.
                > Make sure there is just signal leads from DAC 2000 outputs connected to
                > the inputs of your power amp. And if the main leads of your computer and
                > power amp are both earthed, you must
                > unconnect the shield from one end of your signal (audio) cables.
                > You realy have to make sure that theres no ground loop (that is: equipment
                > connected to ground with more than one way, which makes the loop that
                > picks electromagnetic hum. The bigger the loop the greater the hum.)
                > If your system still makes the noise, the trouble is elsewhere.
                >
                > Lauri

              • Lauri Sydänmaanlakka
                Message 7 of 9 , Mar 1, 2004
                  Serach with Google for "ground loop" in order to get an idea.
                  Or go:
                  http://www.epanorama.net/documents/groundloop/index.html

                  (This is the first one I got with Google :-)

                  Lauri