SRQ Bird Alerts 1 September 2010

  • SRQ Bird Alerts - Peter Rice
    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 1, 2010

    1 September - I had a few migrants on my early morning walk in my neighborhood in SW Englewood today, most notably my FOTS Eastern Kingbird. A lingering Common Nighthawk flew by as dawn broke. Yellow-throated Warblers, a Blue-gray Gnatcatcher, and several Barn Swallows rounded out the migrant list for the morning. Last night’s walk produced a Purple Martin in with Barn Swallows headed south. Other birds of interest today include Monk Parakeets, which have been gone for the past two years from this area, but have returned consistently in the last few weeks, a pair of Great Horned Owls calling back and forth, and a Belted Kingfisher rattling away. There is an oyster bar in the ICW off the subdivision that the Great Blue Herons and Wood Storks like to roost at overnight, and occasionally a few Roseate Spoonbills will be in the mix too.    Susan Daughtrey  Englewood, Charlotte County  susansd@...

  • SRQ Bird Alerts - Peter Rice
    Message 2 of 2 , Sep 1, 2010
    • 1 Attachment
    • 3 KB
    1 September - More bugs than birds this morning, but did see a Blue-winged
    Warbler feeding with 2 Prothonotaries. Also, a female American Redstart.
    Other sound low down, but couldn't get on it. Maybe a Kentucky. Jeanne
    Dubi, Sarasota dubi@...