Re: [SRD_MUD] Re: Forest Service Proposal for the Delta

  • jaky smolders
    Message 1 of 7 , Jun 4, 2007
      It sounds like this is all out of the community's hands; thus, now in political swords.  How, can us, as thousand acres lovers, keep it as is?.............  Will, the change of:  foreign, gravel, picnic benches, garbages, port o potties, traffic, rebuilding, changing the river sides, currents, and all around and in between, rid of my sights of cranes, bald eagles, fish, frogs, wild flowers, deer, coyote, wild roses and solutide, ........to somthing I, nor us folks whom cherise and respect this area to enjoy?  If this becomes, what i think it will, i will no longer want to go... as is with the cutting of trees for the h2o planes, fine with the planes, yet please replant, for the birds, all wildlife, and the structure of the river.  Please do the change, if must naturally without foreign materials, and make enviroment, wildlife, and original users at the uppoint!!!!!  My point, leave as is and put your money else where!!

      Dina Girgenti-Iida <girgenti@...> wrote:
      If I'm not mistaken, they have to build some mechanism in order to access the "island" because there are power lines on that island that must be maintained. A bridge or some type of means for getting across is in the FS 10 year plan. Those plans as well as a great deal of other information can be found at http://www.fs. fed.us/r6/ columbia/ forest/projects/ SandyRiverDelta. htm
      or you can contact Virginia Kelly (listed on that page) to send you information.
      And remember funding is a huge issue and the Confluence project probably does not have an interest in the damn and the island, therefore funding may not come from them.

      Dina

      >>> donvoeks@yahoo. com 5/24/2007 6:55 PM >>>
      I have the same concern about the dam. Am I the only one who remembers the "slough" being deep enough for boats to get in from the Columbia, and then moor and stay overnight? Good fishing too. when was the "dam" put in? Does anyone know? If they take it out, will they provide a bridge for those of us who like to walk across the dam to the power lines and beyond to the Columbia---I bet not. I'm not in favor of the division, and those are NOT wetlands, it's just a series of drainage ditches and 2 seasonal ponds the powers that be didn't make deep enough to hold water all year around.

      donvoeks