Access to SQL Server queires

  • MBDEV - DB
    Message 1 of 4 , Mar 11 7:40 PM
      Hello,

      I am trying to get the same results in SQL server with a query as it works
      in access

      There are two tables:
      TITLES
      Fields in query: TITLES.TitleID, TITLES.CustLName, TITLES.CustFName,
      TITLES.TitleState, TITLES.VehYR, TITLES.VehMake, TITLES.VehModel

      Fields in Table:
      [TitleID]

      ,[TitleNum]

      ,[TitleState]

      ,[VehYR]

      ,[VehMake]

      ,[VehModel]

      ,[NewORUsed]

      ,[OOSTitleIssueDT]

      ,[EntryDT]

      ,[UserID]

      ,[RecDT]

      ,[RecMethod]

      ,[CurLoc]

      ,[CustLName]

      ,[CustFName]

      ,[CustAdd1]

      ,[CustAdd2]

      ,[CustCity]

      ,[CustState]

      ,[CustZIP]

      ,[CustPhone]

      ,[CustLName_2]

      ,[CustFName_2]

      ,[CustLName_3]

      ,[CustFName_3]

      ,[SentToDMVDT]

      ,[SentBackDT]

      ,[Check1]

      ,[TitleImg]

      ,[From]

      ,[LHDLRID]

      ,[Locked]

      _____

      TITLOC
      Fields: TTLLOC.Location, TTLLOC.SentDT, TTLLOC.InRoute, TTLLOC.Recvd

      Fields in Table:
      [TitleLocID]

      ,[TitleID]

      ,[SentDT]

      ,[UserID]

      ,[Location]

      ,[Method]

      ,[Notes]

      ,[Recvd]

      ,[RecvdBy]

      ,[RecvdDT]

      ,[InRoute]

      ,[InRouteBy]

      ,[InRouteDT]

      _____

      MaxOfTitleLocID DOES NOT EXIST in either table.

      ACCESS QUERY:
      NAME OF THE QUERY: TITLES_IN_OFFICES_qry

      ELECT TITLOC.Location, TITLES_IN_OFFICES_qry.CustLName,
      TITLES_IN_OFFICES_qry.CustFName, TITLES_IN_OFFICES_qry.MaxOfTitleLocID,

      TITLES_IN_OFFICES_qry.TitleState,
      TITLES_IN_OFFICES_qry.VehYR, TITLES_IN_OFFICES_qry.VehMake,
      TITLES_IN_OFFICES_qry.VehModel,

      TITLES_IN_OFFICES_qry.TitleID, TITLOC.SentDT,
      TITLOC.InRoute, TITLOC.Recvd

      FROM TITLES_IN_OFFICES_qry INNER JOIN

      TITLOC ON TITLES_IN_OFFICES_qry.MaxOfTitleLocID =
      TITLOC.TitleLocID

      WHERE (TITLOC.Location = [MAIN OFFICE])

      ORDER BY TITLES_IN_OFFICES_qry.CustLName, TITLES_IN_OFFICES_qry.CustFName

      It is using itself in the SQL string above. There is no MaxOfTitleLocID
      field in either table. I was thinking some kind of alias but not finding it
      in this query.

      MY latest SQL version that is returning messed up results.
      ELECT TITLES.TitleID, TITLES.CustLName, TITLES.CustFName,
      TITLES.TitleState, TITLES.VehYR, TITLES.VehMake, TITLES.VehModel,
      TTLLOC.Location, TTLLOC.SentDT,

      TTLLOC.InRoute, TTLLOC.Recvd

      FROM TITLES INNER JOIN

      TTLLOC ON TITLES.TitleID = TTLLOC.TitleID

      WHERE (TTLLOC.Location = 'MAIN OFFICE')

      I am not sure I understand what the access query is doing; it seems to be
      using itself in the query. Any idea what is going on here?

      Thanks,

      Mike

    • MBDEV - DB
      Message 2 of 4 , Mar 12 11:11 PM
        It does use another query; I found it and listed it below. I am trying to
        figure out how to get the same results with one SQL query. I have never
        worked on a query that uses another query before. Not even sure why they did
        it this way other than access automating this in their query builder.

        TITLES_IN_MAINOFFICE_qry - Main Office
        SELECT TITLOC.Location, TITLES_IN_OFFICES_qry.CustLName,
        TITLES_IN_OFFICES_qry.CustFName, TITLES_IN_OFFICES_qry.MaxOfTitleLocID,
        TITLES_IN_OFFICES_qry.TitleState, TITLES_IN_OFFICES_qry.VehYR,
        TITLES_IN_OFFICES_qry.VehMake, TITLES_IN_OFFICES_qry.VehModel,
        TITLES_IN_OFFICES_qry.TitleID, TITLOC.SentDT, TITLOC.InRoute, TITLOC.Recvd
        FROM TITLES_IN_OFFICES_qry INNER JOIN TITLOC ON
        TITLES_IN_OFFICES_qry.MaxOfTitleLocID = TITLOC.TitleLocID
        WHERE (((TITLOC.Location)="MAIN OFFICE"))
        ORDER BY TITLES_IN_OFFICES_qry.CustLName, TITLES_IN_OFFICES_qry.CustFName;

        TITLES_IN_OFFICES_qry - All the offices use this query in their own office
        queries.
        SELECT TITLES.CustLName, TITLES.CustFName, Max(TITLOC.SentDT) AS
        MaxOfSentDT, TITLES.TitleState, TITLES.VehYR, TITLES.VehMake,
        TITLES.VehModel, TITLOC.TitleID, Max(TITLOC.TitleLocID) AS MaxOfTitleLocID,
        TITLES.RecDT
        FROM TITLES INNER JOIN TITLOC ON TITLES.TitleID = TITLOC.TitleID
        GROUP BY TITLES.CustLName, TITLES.CustFName, TITLES.TitleState,
        TITLES.VehYR, TITLES.VehMake, TITLES.VehModel, TITLOC.TitleID, TITLES.RecDT
        ORDER BY TITLES.CustLName, TITLES.CustFName;

        Anyone got any ideas how this can be ONE SQL Query? I am working on it but
        if anyone has any ideas it is appreciated.

        Message 3 of 4 , Mar 13 1:08 AM
          How many groups are you cross posting this to? Which group do you prefer we
          answer in?

[...]

          ELECT TITLES.TitleID, TITLES.CustLName, TITLES.CustFName, TITLES.TitleState,
          TITLES.VehYR, TITLES.VehMake, TITLES.VehModel, TTLLOC.Location,

          Message 4 of 4 , Mar 13 3:07 AM
            Because the groups have different audiences ideally the solution will be
            posted to both by Mike once he gets an answer.

            This group is the best home for Query questions as a rule since there is no
            ASP.net component to his question its all about the query so most of the
            activity should appear here. Hopefully in future he will ask his query
            questions here only and we will help him resolve it here.

            He cross-posted it here because I told him it belongs here. He should be
            using the same subject line and just replying since he changes the subject
            the "thread" gets separated in Gmail and most readers in
            [AspNetAnyQuestionIsOk].

            HERE IS A GREAT PLACE TO ANSWER HIM, then he can cross-post the final
            solution to [AspNetAnyQuestionIsOk] just so people know the thread is
            resolved.