RE: [SQLQueriesNoCode] need Help with Update

  • T p
    Message 1 of 8 , Oct 14, 2012
      dont understandif u want to update A fieldUpdate BD
      SET BD.F1 = BD.F1 + OD.F1

      why do you write + sign?
      is it a varchar/int or what - otherwise u might have to cast it...
      it shoulc be set bd.f1=od.f1 only if u want to update the field value only with the other tablefieldvalue
      To: SQLQueriesNoCode@yahoogroups.com
      From: rdrichardson@...
      Date: Fri, 12 Oct 2012 18:03:54 +0000
      Subject: RE: [SQLQueriesNoCode] need Help with Update

      Unless the original poster is using PostgreSQL, the update query is not perfectly fine. According to the PostgreSQL documentation:

      "This command conforms to the SQL standard, except that the FROM and RETURNING clauses are PostgreSQL extensions."

      (source: http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.4/static/sql-update.html)

      The only way I know of to do what the OP wanted is by using a sub-select, as other responders have suggested.

      RobR

      From: faepigrl <faepigrl@...>