RE: [SQLQueriesNoCode] need Help with Update

  • Rob Richardson
    Message 1 of 8 , Oct 12, 2012
      The original poster's update query is not perfectly fine.

      There are database systems (PostgreSQL is one of them, and the system I am familiar with) that allow a FROM clause in an UPDATE query, but that is a non-standard extension.

      If we assume standard SQL, then a sub-select will be required.

      RobR

      Message 2 of 8 , Oct 14, 2012
        dont understandif u want to update A fieldUpdate BD
        SET BD.F1 = BD.F1 + OD.F1

        why do you write + sign?
        is it a varchar/int or what - otherwise u might have to cast it...
        it shoulc be set bd.f1=od.f1 only if u want to update the field value only with the other tablefieldvalue
        To: SQLQueriesNoCode@yahoogroups.com
        From: rdrichardson@...
        Date: Fri, 12 Oct 2012 18:03:54 +0000

        Unless the original poster is using PostgreSQL, the update query is not perfectly fine. According to the PostgreSQL documentation:

        "This command conforms to the SQL standard, except that the FROM and RETURNING clauses are PostgreSQL extensions."

        (source: http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.4/static/sql-update.html)

        The only way I know of to do what the OP wanted is by using a sub-select, as other responders have suggested.

        RobR

        From: faepigrl <faepigrl@...>