RE: [SQLQueriesNoCode] need Help with Update

    Message 1 of 8 , Oct 12, 2012
      " I think I am missing something and I am worried that it is not going to match the data properly."

      ALWAYS write your query as a SELECT first, verify that it provides the data you expect, and then change the SELECT to an UPDATE, adding the SET component.

      Regards,

      Arnie Rowland | Westwood Consulting, LLC | +1-503-246-6172

      "You cannot do a kindness too soon because you never know how soon it will be too late."
      -Ralph Waldo Emerson
    • Rob Richardson
      Message 2 of 8 , Oct 12, 2012
        Unless the original poster is using PostgreSQL, the update query is not perfectly fine. According to the PostgreSQL documentation:

        "This command conforms to the SQL standard, except that the FROM and RETURNING clauses are PostgreSQL extensions."
        (source: http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.4/static/sql-update.html)

        The only way I know of to do what the OP wanted is by using a sub-select, as other responders have suggested.

        RobR

        Message 3 of 8 , Oct 12, 2012
          The original poster's update query is not perfectly fine.

          There are database systems (PostgreSQL is one of them, and the system I am familiar with) that allow a FROM clause in an UPDATE query, but that is a non-standard extension.

          If we assume standard SQL, then a sub-select will be required.

          RobR

          Message 4 of 8 , Oct 14, 2012
            dont understandif u want to update A fieldUpdate BD
            SET BD.F1 = BD.F1 + OD.F1

            why do you write + sign?
            is it a varchar/int or what - otherwise u might have to cast it...
            it shoulc be set bd.f1=od.f1 only if u want to update the field value only with the other tablefieldvalue
            To: SQLQueriesNoCode@yahoogroups.com

            From: faepigrl <faepigrl@...>