CASE - ISNULL - What Am I Missing?

  • Andy Mills
    Message 1 of 7 , May 9, 2012
      Hello Everyone:

      For the life of me, I can't get this case statement / ISNULL function to replace the NULL values (please note: I took out a bunch of the SELECT statement as well as the "FROM & WHERE" clause as I don't think it matters.
      But for the Sub-Select statements, no matter how I try to use an 'ISNULL function' or a 'CASE statement', the value is always NULL. I was hoping a second set of eyes could tell me what I am missing.

      SELECT
      r.RoleName,
      ISNULL(p.FirstName,'') as 'FirstName',
      (select
      *
      FROM
      (select
      pro.AccountManagerUserName,
      count(AccountManagerUserName) as ACount
      from
      Profile pro
      where
      pro.RoleType = 'Educator'
      and pro.AccountManagerUserName IS NULL
      and pro.UserId = p.userId
      group by
      pro.AccountManagerUserName
      ) AS 'TEA3') AS 'test'
      from dbo.AllMembers am

      Message 2 of 7 , May 9, 2012
        The simple minded question that I pose, and I hope you will excuse my
        simple-mindedness, are there rows where the p.[FirstName] column IS
        NULL, or does it contain the string value 'NULL'?

        I don't see a CASE statement, and your use of ISNULL appears correct.

        However, more to the point, your sub-select is returning two values -and
        that is not allowed in this usage. I'm going out on a limb here and
        assuming that some of the code that you are protecting us from is
        actually concatenating pro.[AccountManagerUserName] and ACount -which,
        since pro.[AccountManagerUserName] IS NULL , will return a NULL.

        If that is not correct, then you are going to have to disclose more of
        the code since this sniplet will only cause an error as two values are
        returned for 'test'.

        Regards,

        Arnie Rowland | Westwood Consulting, LLC | MVP SQL Server

        "You cannot do a kindness too soon because you never know how soon
        it will be too late."

        Message 3 of 7 , May 10, 2012
          Arnie is correct about the subselect - it can only return a single value.  That may be an issue unless the code you removed changed it in such a way that it actually works.

          Why are you checking for a null value on a name?  Why not simply return the value as-is?

          Mark

          ________________________________

          Message 4 of 7 , May 11, 2012
            Arnie:

            Here is the entire SQL Statement:

            SELECT
            r.RoleName,
            ISNULL(p.FirstName,'') as 'FirstName',
            ISNULL(p.LastName,'') as 'LastName',
            m.Email,
            am.UserName,
            am.ExpirationDate,
            am.OrderId,
            am.SignupDate,
            m.password,
            ISNULL(hh.Name,'') as 'HowHeard',
            m.CreateDate as 'Account Created',
            (select
            ACount
            FROM
            (select
            pro.AccountManagerUserName,
            count(AccountManagerUserName) as ACount
            from
            Profile pro
            where
            pro.RoleType IN ('Educator', 'Adult')
            --and pro.AccountManagerUserName IS NULL
            and pro.UserId = p.userId
            group by
            pro.AccountManagerUserName
            ) T1
            ) TeacherAccounts
            from
            dbo.AllMembers am
            left outer join profile p on am.userid=p.userid
            left outer join MarketingCampaign hh on hh.MarketingCampaignId=p.CampaignId
            inner join aspnet_membership m on am.userid=m.userid
            inner join aspnet_usersinroles ur on am.userid=ur.userid
            inner join aspnet_roles r on r.roleid=ur.roleid
            WHERE
            MembershipLevel = 'Premium'

            Message 5 of 7 , May 11, 2012
              Arnie:

              I think I got this working. Thanks for the help as it pointed me in the right direction.

              Thanks
              Andy

              Message 6 of 7 , May 12, 2012
                I can't speak for all nor for the OP but null can cause procedural code to have an issue, null isn't a string or char array and thus will need conversion. Often it is easier and more expedient to have the 'conversion' made by the DB engine.
                I'm sure someone has already posted this suggestion but to repeat isn't COALESCE a standard SQL function these days?

                http://www.w3schools.com/sql/sql_isnull.asp

              • Mark E
                Message 7 of 7 , May 12, 2012
                  Coalesce is ansi standard whereas isnull is t-sql and could go away in the future.

                  Mark

                  Sent from Yahoo! Mail on Android