RE: [SQLQueriesNoCode] Order if some order by fields are null

  • Rob Richardson
    Message 1 of 8 , Jul 12 8:42 AM
      The ISNULL() function is not available in PostgreSQL. A quick Google
      search told me that ISNULL() is a Microsoft-specific addition to SQL
      Server. The standard function is COALESCE(). The basic idea is still
      good.

      Here's the link to the article I found telling me about this:
      http://stackoverflow.com/questions/2214525/what-is-the-postgresql-equiva
      lent-to-isnull

      RobR
      Message 2 of 8 , Jul 12 8:42 AM
        NULL values will order before non-null values.
        You can use various methods to control ordering, such as ISNULL().

        Regards,

        Arnie Rowland, MVP (SQL Server)

        "You cannot do a kindness too soon because you never know how soon it
        will be too late."

        Message 3 of 8 , Jul 12 8:47 AM
          When I ran a query using the original form in PostgreSQL, the null
          values were sorted after the non-null values.

          I did not mention my platform because I thought this list was supposed
          to be platform-agnostic.