Server 2008 R2 Installation problem

  • Arindam
    Message 1 of 4 , Mar 11, 2011
      Installing Microsoft SQL Server 2008 R2 Management Studio Express is become really pain. while installing getting the following error.

      Rule "Previous releases of Microsoft Visual Studio 2008" failed.
      A previous release of Microsoft Visual Studio 2008 is installed on this computer. Upgrade Microsoft Visual Studio 2008 to the SP1 before installing SQL Server 2008. Visual Studio SP1 can be found at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=159627.

      As many suggestion found on google , ihave installed sp1, and also changed the following key value in registry, then also it does not work.

      Even if i change
      [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\DevDiv\VNS\Servicing\9.0\EXP\1033]
      "Install"=dword:00000001
      "InstallerType"="MSI"
      "SP"=dword:00000001
      "SPIndex"=dword:00000001
      "SPName"="SP1"

      What would be the solution.?

      -Thanks
       Arindam Chakraborty

      Message 2 of 4 , Mar 11, 2011
        Uninstall SQL Server Express 2008R2, install SSMS then install SQL
        Express. I don't know why but I had the same problem and this solved it.

      • Arindam
        Message 3 of 4 , Mar 11, 2011
          I have read few articles on google, which says even after doing the step (as you said below) it does not work.!

          Message 4 of 4 , Mar 11, 2011
            In that case don't try it even though it seemed to work for me.