Help on Regular expression in SQL:

  • santosh umarani
    Message 1 of 4 , Sep 5, 2010
      Hi All,

      Can you please let me know how to use regular expression in SQL? It would be
      great if you can let me know with examples.
      Looking forward to hear from you soon.

      Thanks,
      Santosh

    • p_livengood
      Message 2 of 4 , Sep 6, 2010
        Santosh;
        There is no direct built in ability to use Regular Expressions in SQL, but you can write CLR functions using C# to help you with this. The code for this, and the install procedures, are a little too much for a Yahoo Groups reply, but there are wonderful examples all over the web. Code Project has a very nice example to get you started, and the code is even downloadable.

        http://www.codeproject.com/KB/database/SqlRegularExpressions.aspx

        HTH
        Paul

        --- In SQLQueriesNoCode@yahoogroups.com, santosh umarani <esantoshu@...> wrote:

        > Hi All,
        >
        > Can you please let me know how to use regular expression in SQL? It would be
        > great if you can let me know with examples.
        > Looking forward to hear from you soon.
        >
        > Thanks,
        > Santosh

      • Rob Richardson
        Message 3 of 4 , Sep 8, 2010
          I'm working in PostGreSQL v8.4. I have a query that I think is
          returning the standard deviation of a set of rows. But it's a bit
          complex, so I want to check the results for some of the rows for which I
          have only a few samples. I ran a second query that gave me the raw data
          for a sample that includes five rows. I want to use stddev(), typing in
          the aggregated data for each of the five rows by hand. For example, I
          might want to try "select stddev(1, 2, 3, 4, 5)". But that doesn't
          work. What should I do instead?

          Thanks!

          RobR
        • nature strikes back
          Message 4 of 4 , Sep 9, 2010
            i need oracle 9 or 10 for vista 32 is there anyone have pleaz tell me