Fastest Query to Query 70000 rows

  • ☺Aνιηαѕн ∂єѕαι™☺
    Message 1 of 11 , Jun 30 11:37 PM
      hi

      I am using SQL Express and i have about 70000 Rows data and when i load
      them it takes 5 mins to load or display can any one tell me or give me the
      Fast query which queries 70000 rows with where condition???

      --
      Thanks & Regards
      Avinash Desai

      Think Before you print: Please consider our environment before printing this
      e-mail
      Fred Allen <http://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/authors/f/fred_allen.html> -
      "California is a fine place to live - if you happen to be an orange."

    • Damhuis Anton
      Message 2 of 11 , Jul 1, 2009
        Hi Avinash Desai

        How long does it take to do a normal Select statement?

        What are the indexes like on your table?
        Give us the table structure, and your where clause, then maybe we can help.

        Regards
        Anton

        ________________________________
        Please note: This email and its contents are subject to the disclaimer as displayed at the following link: http://www.investmentsolutions.co.za/EmailLegalNotice.htm. Should you not have web access, send an email to legalnotice@... and a copy of this disclaimer will be sent to you.

      • ☺Aνιηαѕн ∂єѕαι™☺
        Message 3 of 11 , Jul 1, 2009
          Hi

          Thanks for the reply

          here goes my table structure

          *CaseId numeric(18, 0)
          SlNo numeric(18, 0)
          Title varchar(MAX)
          JudgeName varchar(MAX)
          JDate datetime
          Enactment varchar(MAX)
          Reference1 varchar(MAX)
          Reference2 varchar(MAX)
          Reference3 varchar(MAX)
          Reference4 varchar(MAX)
          HNote varchar(MAX)
          Description varchar(MAX)
          MaxYear text
          Ena text
          Notes varchar(MAX)

          *and the where condition can be any column and another question is i want to
          get the data if user searches for the data like *'Laser light from 1km to
          100km'* if user types *km *and searches if i use like statement in where
          condition how to search??? and even he might enter *"FROM km"* the query
          must display the data from the table where it has word *From *and *KM*

          Regards
          Avinash

          On Wed, Jul 1, 2009 at 2:21 PM, Damhuis Anton <DamhuisA@...> wrote:

          > Hi Avinash Desai
          >
          > How long does it take to do a normal Select statement?
          >
          > What are the indexes like on your table?
          > Give us the table structure, and your where clause, then maybe we can help.
          >
          > Regards
          > Anton

          Thanks & Regards
          Avinash Desai
          *SAVE Nature SAVE Tree SAVE*

          Think Before you print: Please consider our environment before printing this
          e-mail
          George Burns <http://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/authors/g/george_burns.html>
          - "I would go out with women my age, but there are no women my age."

        • Rob Richardson
          Message 4 of 11 , Jul 1, 2009
            Avinash,

            "Laser light"? Where did that come from? I don't see any column
            containing that. I don't see any column refering to kilometers.

            Although I am no expert, I strongly doubt there is any way to optimize a
            query if you don't know what the query will be ahead of time. You could
            probably set up some indexes that would make things better for a few
            common queries, but you can't optimize everything.

            RobR

            Message 5 of 11 , Jul 1, 2009
              @Rob

              thanks for reply

              as i m searching for the data *Laser light from 1km to 100km* or* KM* in any
              column in the Table ...

              SO i want to search it fast and if user searches for *Laser light from 1km
              to 100km

              *then it has to search for *Laser *and *light *and *from *and *1km *and
              *to *and *100km*

              how can this be done????????

              On Wed, Jul 1, 2009 at 5:36 PM, Rob Richardson
              <Rob.Richardson@...>wrote:

              > Avinash,
              >
              > "Laser light"? Where did that come from? I don't see any column
              > containing that. I don't see any column refering to kilometers.
              >
              > Although I am no expert, I strongly doubt there is any way to optimize a
              > query if you don't know what the query will be ahead of time. You could
              > probably set up some indexes that would make things better for a few
              > common queries, but you can't optimize everything.
              >
              > RobR

              Emo Philips <http://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/authors/e/emo_philips.html>
              - "A computer once beat me at chess, but it was no match for me at
              kick
              boxing."

            • Rob Richardson
              Message 6 of 11 , Jul 1, 2009
                Avinash,

                Good grief! You have no design whatever in your database! I think you
                have to go back to the beginning, scrap everything you've got, and
                really think about how you want this database to be used! And maybe
                before that, take some beginning courses in how to work with databases!

                You can't search every column in your database for a given piece of
                text. Surely you don't expect "Laser light from" to be contained in a
                case number column, or in a judge name column, or in a MaxYear column.

                I'm sorry, but you are asking for the impossible, and you're asking for
                it to be done in a hurry. It can't be done.

                If, as I suspect, "Laser light from 1 km to 100 km" would be contained
                in the Notes column, the task starts to become a little better defined.
                I don't know a good way to optimize a search for random text in a
                column, but experts might know better.

                If that's going to be a common query, then add a column named
                laser_light_distance to your databse. Go to your users and ask them
                what queries they want and make sure there are columns for them in your
                table. If you do your job right, you'll get a list of questions that
                will cover almost all situations that can come up. Add columns to your
                table that will contain the information needed to answer those
                questions. Provide a user interface through which the questions can be
                asked and the answers can be listed. If you do all this correctly,
                doing text searches on the Notes column should be a last resort that is
                almost never used.

                RobR

                Message 7 of 11 , Jul 1, 2009
                  Then I am surprised it only takes 5 minutes, I would have expected longer.

                • Paul Livengood
                  Message 8 of 11 , Jul 1, 2009
                    Avinash;
                    What you are talking about is called Full Text Indexing. It is a feature in MS SQL that will index all the text of a column, not just the starting text. With SQL Express you need to download and install the Full Text Version of SQL Express (larger download). After that is installed you have some setup to do.

                    This is a pretty good article for getting started on it.

                    http://www.wherecanibuyit.co.uk/ASP/full-text-search.html

                    HTH
                    Paul

                    --- In SQLQueriesNoCode@yahoogroups.com, ☺Aνιηαѕн ∂Ñ"ѕαι™☺ <avinashdesai10@...> wrote:

                    > @Rob
                    >
                    > thanks for reply
                    >
                    > as i m searching for the data *Laser light from 1km to 100km* or* KM* in any
                    > column in the Table ...
                    >
                    > SO i want to search it fast and if user searches for *Laser light from 1km
                    > to 100km
                    >
                    > *then it has to search for *Laser *and *light *and *from *and *1km *and
                    > *to *and *100km*
                    >
                    > how can this be done????????
                    >

                    > On Wed, Jul 1, 2009 at 5:36 PM, Rob Richardson
                    > <Rob.Richardson@...>wrote:
                    >

                    > > Avinash,
                    > >
                    > > "Laser light"? Where did that come from? I don't see any column
                    > > containing that. I don't see any column refering to kilometers.
                    > >
                    > > Although I am no expert, I strongly doubt there is any way to optimize a
                    > > query if you don't know what the query will be ahead of time. You could
                    > > probably set up some indexes that would make things better for a few
                    > > common queries, but you can't optimize everything.
                    > >
                    > > RobR

                  • ☺Aνιηαѕн ∂єѕαι™☺
                    Message 9 of 11 , Jul 1, 2009
                      @Rob

                      Yea It has to search in only 3 Columns i.e., Hnote , Notes,Description .

                      Hey sorry i think in a hurry i mentioned all columns [?]. only i need from
                      those 3 Columns...

                      @Paul

                      Thanks for the Link will go through it ...

                      On Wed, Jul 1, 2009 at 6:04 PM, Paul Livengood <p_livengood@...>wrote:

                      > Avinash;
                      > What you are talking about is called Full Text Indexing. It is a feature in
                      > MS SQL that will index all the text of a column, not just the starting text.
                      > With SQL Express you need to download and install the Full Text Version of
                      > SQL Express (larger download). After that is installed you have some setup
                      > to do.
                      >
                      > This is a pretty good article for getting started on it.
                      >
                      > http://www.wherecanibuyit.co.uk/ASP/full-text-search.html
                      >
                      > HTH
                      > Paul
                      >

                      > --- In SQLQueriesNoCode@yahoogroups.com<SQLQueriesNoCode%40yahoogroups.com>,
                      > ���A������������ ����"������������ <avinashdesai10@...> wrote:
                      > >
                      > > @Rob
                      > >
                      > > thanks for reply
                      > >
                      > > as i m searching for the data *Laser light from 1km to 100km* or* KM* in
                      > any
                      > > column in the Table ...
                      > >
                      > > SO i want to search it fast and if user searches for *Laser light from
                      > 1km
                      > > to 100km
                      > >
                      > > *then it has to search for *Laser *and *light *and *from *and *1km *and
                      > > *to *and *100km*
                      > >
                      > > how can this be done????????
                      > >

                      > > On Wed, Jul 1, 2009 at 5:36 PM, Rob Richardson
                      > > <Rob.Richardson@...>wrote:
                      > >

                      > > > Avinash,
                      > > >
                      > > > "Laser light"? Where did that come from? I don't see any column
                      > > > containing that. I don't see any column refering to kilometers.
                      > > >
                      > > > Although I am no expert, I strongly doubt there is any way to optimize
                      > > > query if you don't know what the query will be ahead of time. You could
                      > > > probably set up some indexes that would make things better for a few
                      > > > common queries, but you can't optimize everything.
                      > > >
                      > > > RobR

                      Rita Rudner <http://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/authors/r/rita_rudner.html>
                      - "I was a vegetarian until I started leaning toward the sunlight."

                      Message 10 of 11 , Jul 1, 2009
                        You still have an issue, the 'Laser Light' text in a properly designed application would only appear in one column, not three. Rob is correct you have some issues that are well beyond just the database design itself, the application your users are using to enter new data has a serious design flaw.

                        Message 11 of 11 , Jul 6, 2009
                          If you are using SQL SERVER then use FULL TEXT INDEX.