Re: [SQLQueriesNoCode] pls help

  • Carmen Popescu
    Message 1 of 14 , Nov 8, 2007
      I'm not very sure if this is working with SQL server, but in Oracle you can use something like this:
      select * from
      ( select * from information order by salary)
      where rownum=3

      This is for returning the 3rd value of the salary.

      zayed ** <zayed_ctn@...> wrote:
      Hellogroup,
      Pls help me to find out the maximum number in a sql database.
      With this mail i'm attaching a sql file.
      Pls help me to find out the maximum salary and the 3rd maximum salary in it.
      pls give me the sql code to find it out.
      Pls help me .
      I'm very new in coding.

      http://mail.yahoo.com
      ----------

      -- phpMyAdmin SQL Dump
      -- version 2.8.0.3
      -- http://www.phpmyadmin.net
      --
      -- Host: localhost
      -- Generation Time: Nov 05, 2007 at 03:49 PM

      -- --------------------------------------------------------

      --
      -- Table structure for table `information`
      --

      CREATE TABLE `information` (
      `id` int(2) default NULL,

      --
      -- Dumping data for table `information`
      --

      INSERT INTO `information` VALUES (1, 'Mahboob', 25000);
      INSERT INTO `information` VALUES (2, 'Zayed', 1500);

      Message 2 of 14 , Nov 9, 2007
        > SELECT MIN(Salary)
        > FROM information
        > WHERE salary IN
        > (SELECT TOP 3 salary FROM information)

        correction

        SELECT MIN(Salary)
        FROM information
        WHERE salary IN
        (SELECT TOP 3 salary FROM information order by salary desc)

        alse need to apply distinct in the sub-query, as there may be more that one record for the same salary (value)

        Noman Muhammad Aftab
        Software Engineer
        Avanza Solutions
        Tel:+92 21 567 5240 – 42 (ext: 762)
        Fax:+92 21 567 5244
        Email: noman.aftab@...

        Message 3 of 14 , Nov 9, 2007
          --- In SQLQueriesNoCode@yahoogroups.com, Carmen Popescu
          <carmen_cngl@...> wrote:

          > I'm not very sure if this is working with SQL server, but in Oracle
          you can use something like this:
          > select * from
          > ( select * from information order by salary)
          > where rownum=3
          >
          > This is for returning the 3rd value of the salary.

          Hello sir ur state ment cant get me to the 3rd MAXIMUM NUMBER.
          It only shows the row 3.
        • zayed **
          Message 4 of 14 , Nov 9, 2007
            Hello sir,
            I couldn't find out the 3rd maximum number with ur code.
            Could u pls tell me to find out the TOP 3 salaries?

            ur code was-

            SELECT MIN(Salary)
            FROM information
            WHERE salary IN
            (SELECT TOP 3 salary FROM information)

            It gives error in line 3 .

            Thank u sir.

            Message 5 of 14 , Nov 9, 2007
              I think the target is MySQL based on his php dump. I have no idea if it
              supports the ROWNUM keyword. I will say I like that better then TOP x.

              Message 6 of 14 , Nov 9, 2007
                > SELECT MIN(Salary)
                > FROM information
                > WHERE salary IN
                > (SELECT TOP 3 salary FROM information)

                correction

                SELECT MIN(Salary)
                FROM information
                WHERE salary IN
                (SELECT TOP 3 salary FROM information order by salary desc)

                Noman Muhammad Aftab
                Software Engineer
                Avanza Solutions
                Tel:+92 21 567 5240 – 42 (ext: 755)
                Fax:+92 21 567 5244
                Email: noman.aftab@...

                > Pls help me to find out the maximum number in a sql database.

                What number? Salary or a count of all the rows in the table?

                > With this mail i'm attaching a sql file.

                Attachments (thankfully) are stripped from postings before being
                distributed. So your file never arrived.

                > Pls help me to find out the maximum salary
                > salary in it.

                SELECT MAX(salary)
                FROM information

                > and the 3rd maximum

                SELECT MIN(Salary)
                FROM information
                WHERE salary IN
                (SELECT TOP 3 salary FROM information)

                And that completes tonight's homework assignment. You should really give
                thought to popping that Relational Database textbook open and give it a
                read, Data Manipulation is only part of the job of learning SQL.

              • monojit aich
                Message 7 of 14 , Nov 9, 2007
                  In SQL server several ways to get nth highest .

                  --*********************************************************
                  -- pls run sqls before test sql 1 and 2
                  --**********************************************************
                  create table SampleTable(ID numeric)

                  insert into SampleTable values(2)
                  insert into SampleTable values(7)
                  insert into SampleTable values(5)
                  insert into SampleTable values(3)
                  insert into SampleTable values(11)

                  --***************************************************************

                  1. Without using Top x or RowNum ( I hope it will run any database)

                  SELECT ID FROM SampleTable where id not in(
                  SELECT ID FROM SampleTable where id >=all(
                  SELECT ID FROM SampleTable where id not in(
                  SELECT ID FROM SampleTable where id >= all(SELECT ID FROM SampleTable ))))
                  and id in
                  (SELECT ID FROM SampleTable where id >=all(
                  SELECT ID FROM SampleTable where id not in(
                  SELECT ID FROM SampleTable where id >=all(
                  SELECT ID FROM SampleTable where id not in(
                  SELECT ID FROM SampleTable where id >= all(SELECT ID FROM SampleTable ))))))

                  2. Using Top(Only for SQL server)

                  SELECT ID FROM SampleTable WHERE ID IN (
                  SELECT TOP 3 ID FROM SampleTable ORDER BY ID )
                  AND ID NOT IN
                  (
                  SELECT TOP 2 ID FROM SampleTable ORDER BY ID )

[...]

                  <!--

                  #ygrp-mkp{
                  #ygrp-mkp hr{
                  border:1px solid #d8d8d8;}
                  #ygrp-mkp #hd{
                  #ygrp-mkp #ads{
                  margin-bottom:10px;}
                  #ygrp-mkp .ad{
                  padding:0 0;}
                  #ygrp-mkp .ad a{
                  color:#0000ff;text-decoration:none;}
                  -->

                  <!--

                  #ygrp-sponsor #ygrp-lc{
                  font-family:Arial;}
                  #ygrp-sponsor #ygrp-lc #hd{
                  #ygrp-sponsor #ygrp-lc .ad{
                  margin-bottom:10px;padding:0 0;}
                  -->

                  <!--

                  #ygrp-mlmsg * {line-height:1.22em;}
                  #ygrp-text{
                  font-family:Georgia;
                  }
                  #ygrp-text p{
                  margin:0 0 1em 0;}
                  #ygrp-tpmsgs{
                  font-family:Arial;
                  clear:both;}
                  #ygrp-vitnav{
                  #ygrp-vitnav a{
                  padding:0 1px;}
                  #ygrp-actbar{
                  #ygrp-actbar .left{
                  float:left;white-space:nowrap;}
                  .bld{font-weight:bold;}
                  #ygrp-grft{
                  #ygrp-ft{
                  padding:5px 0;
                  }
                  #ygrp-mlmsg #logo{
                  padding-bottom:10px;}

                  #ygrp-vital{
                  #ygrp-vital #vithd{
                  #ygrp-vital ul{
                  padding:0;margin:2px 0;}
                  #ygrp-vital ul li{
                  }
                  #ygrp-vital ul li .ct{
                  #ygrp-vital ul li .cat{
                  font-weight:bold;}
                  #ygrp-vital a{
                  text-decoration:none;}

                  #ygrp-vital a:hover{
                  text-decoration:underline;}

                  #ygrp-sponsor #hd{
                  color:#999;font-size:77%;}
                  #ygrp-sponsor #ov{
                  #ygrp-sponsor #ov ul{
                  padding:0 0 0 8px;margin:0;}
                  #ygrp-sponsor #ov li{
                  #ygrp-sponsor #ov li a{
                  text-decoration:none;font-size:130%;}
                  #ygrp-sponsor #nc{
                  #ygrp-sponsor .ad{
                  padding:8px 0;}
                  #ygrp-sponsor .ad #hd1{
                  #ygrp-sponsor .ad a{
                  text-decoration:none;}
                  #ygrp-sponsor .ad a:hover{
                  text-decoration:underline;}
                  #ygrp-sponsor .ad p{
                  margin:0;}
                  o{font-size:0;}
                  .MsoNormal{
                  margin:0 0 0 0;}
                  #ygrp-text tt{
                  font-size:120%;}
                  blockquote{margin:0 0 0 4px;}
                  .replbq{margin:4;}
                  -->

                • Carmen Popescu
                  Message 8 of 14 , Nov 9, 2007
                    I cheked now, and the MySQL equivalent for ROWNUM is LIMIT. So you can write:

                    SELECT * FROM
                    (SELECT * FROM information ORDER BY salary DESC)
                    LIMIT 3,3

                  • Carmen Popescu
                    Message 9 of 14 , Nov 9, 2007
                      I'm not sure, but it is posible to need to use an alias for the table obtained from the subquery:
                      SELECT * FROM
                      (SELECT * FROM information ORDER BY salary) AS tab1
                      LIMIT 3,3

                      Message 10 of 14 , Nov 9, 2007
                        You are absolutely right, the list needs to be sorted. I like to think I
                        would have noticed that if I had run the query. On the other hand the way
                        my week has gone, it might have been in production for weeks before I
                        noticed.

                        Message 11 of 14 , Nov 9, 2007
                          I've forgotten what DBMS are we talking about?

                        • Attiq Jaffar
                          Message 12 of 14 , Nov 10, 2007
                            this might b help u ppl
                            http://sqlserver2000.databases.aspfaq.com/how-do-i-get-the-nth-row-in-a-sql-server-table.html