SQL Server specific question

    Message 1 of 21 , Jul 5, 2007
      Sorry for slightly off topic here.

      Can anyone tell me if the client software for SQL Server 2005 (QA,
      Enterprise Manager, ect) are backward compatible with SQL Server 2000? I
      would assume so, but don't want to get bitten by being wrong. Thanks.

      John Warner
    • Tim Mitchell
      Message 2 of 21 , Jul 5, 2007
        Yes they are. Even the free version of SQL Server Enterprise Studio
        will connect to SQL Server 2000. I believe the same is true for SQL
        7.0.

        ________________________________

        Can anyone tell me if the client software for SQL Server 2005 (QA,
        Enterprise Manager, ect) are backward compatible with SQL Server 2000? I
        would assume so, but don't want to get bitten by being wrong. Thanks.

      • CF
        Message 3 of 21 , Jul 5, 2007
          Hi John,

          > Sorry for slightly off topic here.

          NP for me. Finally I get to say something. ;-)

          > Can anyone tell me if the client software for SQL Server 2005 (QA,
          > Enterprise Manager, ect) are backward compatible with SQL Server 2000? I
          > would assume so, but don't want to get bitten by being wrong. Thanks.

          Yes, it is. SQL Server Management Studio can connect to MSSQL 2000 servers and databases. (Studio Express can, too)

          Best,

          Chris
          Message 4 of 21 , Jul 6, 2007
            And some folks, including me, use Query Analyzer from SQL 2000 to connect
            with SQL 2005 databases.

            (SQL Server Management Studio replaces both Query Analyzer and Enterprise
            Mangler.)

            - Arnie Rowland

            "I am a great believer in luck, and I find that the harder I work, the more
            I have of it." - Thomas Jefferson (1743-1826)

            NP for me. Finally I get to say something. ;-)

            > Can anyone tell me if the client software for SQL Server 2005 (QA,
            > Enterprise Manager, ect) are backward compatible with SQL Server 2000? I
            > would assume so, but don't want to get bitten by being wrong. Thanks.

            Yes, it is. SQL Server Management Studio can connect to MSSQL 2000 servers
            and databases. (Studio Express can, too)

            Best,

            Chris

            Yahoo! Groups Links

            Disclaimer - July 6, 2007

            Message 5 of 21 , Jul 6, 2007
              So the 2K versions are 'up' compatible at least for '05? Thanks I was
              really unaware of that.

            • Tim Mitchell
              Message 6 of 21 , Jul 6, 2007
                Just Query Analyzer. SQL 2000 Enterprise Manager and Profiler are not
                forward compatible.

                Tim Mitchell MCDBA MCSE
                Systems Administrator / Web Developer
                Wilson N. Jones Medical Center
                903.870.5519
                http://www.wnj.org <http://www.wnj.org/>

                ________________________________

                Message 7 of 21 , Jul 6, 2007
                  QA -NOT EM.

                  - Arnie Rowland

                  "I am a great believer in luck, and I find that the harder I work, the more
                  I have of it." - Thomas Jefferson (1743-1826)

                  So the 2K versions are 'up' compatible at least for '05? Thanks I was
                  really unaware of that.

                  Yahoo! Groups Links

                  Disclaimer - July 6, 2007

                  Message 8 of 21 , Jul 12, 2007
                    I'm running a set of SUM functions on a set of decimal(17,2) fields and
                    getting an overflow error:

                    Server: Msg 8115, Level 16, State 8, Line 34
                    Arithmetic overflow error converting numeric to data type numeric.

                    It occurs around 30,000 rows into things with more then a few rows
                    remaining to be processed. There is a date range here of YTD so you can
                    imagine what my result set might look like by Christmas.

                    The code is:

                    SUM(fi.totalcost) AS Cost,
                    SUM(fi.extension) AS Sales,
                    (SUM(fi.extension) - SUM(fi.totalcost)) AS GP$,
                    CASE
                    WHEN SUM(fi.extension) = 0 THEN 0.0
                    WHEN SUM(fi.extension) - SUM(fi.totalcost) = 0 THEN 0.0
                    ELSE
                    CAST(ROUND(((SUM(fi.extension) - SUM(fi.totalcost)) /
                    SUM(fi.extension)), 3) AS decimal(4,3))
                    END AS [GP%]

                    Truthfully this is part of a large query and I am not sure which of these
                    lines SQL/QA is calling 34, but these are all the lines revolving around
                    numbers. I'm reasonably sure it isn't the final percent field. Has anyone
                    any suggestions as to what I can do to 'up convert' the results to a larger
                    data type, that is can it be done and what is the syntax to do it?

                    This is unknown T-SQL ground for me.

                    Thanks

                    Oh, SQL Server 2K. Server is a Win 2003 box with plenty of resources.

                    Message 9 of 21 , Jul 12, 2007
                      Two things to look at John. (quick look on my part, no testing)

                      This line seems specious:

                      CAST(ROUND(((SUM(fi.extension) - SUM(fi.totalcost)) /
                      SUM(fi.extension)), 3) AS decimal(4,3))

                      You are rounding to 3 places BEFORE you cast to three places. If the
                      previous values were 2 places, this might cause failure.

                      Any location where the underlying value could exceed the allowed precision
                      -either before or after a calculation.

                      Check this out and let us know if you need more help.

                      - Arnie Rowland MVP (SQL Server)

[...]

                      Disclaimer - July 12, 2007

                      Message 10 of 21 , Jul 13, 2007
                        This line seems specious:

                        > CAST(ROUND(((SUM(fi.extension) - SUM(fi.totalcost)) /
                        > SUM(fi.extension)), 3) AS decimal(4,3))

                        This is why you are an MVP, up sizing the final (outer) CAST to
                        decimal(22,2) solved the issue. Not at all sure why this is required, the
                        value here would never exceed 100. I tend to view this as a bit of a design
                        defect in the way SQL Server handles math operations. Regardless, thanks
                        for the assist and your first instinct was once again correct.

                      • trippy19642002
                        Message 11 of 21 , Jul 22, 2007
                          Yes, you can connect, query, mangae a 2000 server from 2005 Visual
                          Studio.
                          Bill