Re: [SQLQueriesNoCode] Query by Zipcode

  • Jeffrey Schoolcraft
    Message 1 of 22 , Jan 26, 2007
      1. call out to a third party webservice that does this for you
      2. store more zipcode data (with lat, long, city, state and get ready for
      some math)

      http://www.weberdev.com/get_example-4131.html is a bit of php code that
      implements method 2.

      On 1/24/07, King Wilder <king@...> wrote:

      > I'm being asked to write a search function where the user enters their
      > zipcode and the query will return all results in a 5 mile, or 10 mile
      > radius. I thought at first that this is easy, but then I thought, the
      > database doesn't know which zipcodes are in what location.
      >

      > Does anyone know how I would do this?
      >

      > Thanks,
      >

      > King Wilder

      Jeff Schoolcraft
      http://thequeue.net/blog/
      http://bloggingabout.net/blogs/jeff/

      Quid quid latine dictum sit, altum videtur

    • King Wilder
      Message 2 of 22 , Jan 26, 2007
        Jeffrey,

        Thanks for the info. Those are a couple resources I didn't find and they
        are just what I'm looking for.

        I also did a lot of research and found some good (free) sources:

        * http://geocoder.us/
        * http://www.melissadata.com/lookups/index.htm
        * http://search.cpan.org/~sderle/Geo-Coder-US/
        * http://terraserver.microsoft.com/default.aspx

        The above are primarily sources for retrieving point locations based on zip
        code queries. There are other sources that can give you the actual
        longitude and latitude of any location based on your zip code + 4.

        I was able to download free code (for my ASP.NET C# app) that can handle the
        calculation. I'm glad SQLQueriesNoCode is available, it always helps me.

        Thanks,

        King Wilder

        Gizmo BeachR

        king@...

        www.gizmobeach.com

        626 351-4334

        _____

        it also seems to have the data associated with option #3, not sure how big
        it is. it's for postgreSQL but who cares right, you should be able to
        import it.

        Message 3 of 22 , Jan 28, 2007
          John,

          Thanks, this is a great resource and a great price.

          What is this al-ge-bra you speak of? Is this a new programming language?
          ;^)

          My need was to compute a given radius from the provided zip code. I found
          some free functions and calculations on the Internet that will help me do
          with easily and some other references by another SQLQueriesNoCode member.

          Thanks again,

          King Wilder

          Gizmo BeachR

          king@...

          www.gizmobeach.com

          626 351-4334

          _____

          Message 4 of 22 , Jan 29, 2007
            Have you ever seen a web service exposed to the public that does this?
            (method 1) If there is and online access is pretty assured, that would
            be the way I would go. Let someone else store the data...

          • King Wilder
            Message 5 of 22 , Jan 29, 2007
              John,

              Normally that is what I would do also, but my client needs a specific
              category of addresses to be search by zip code and the publicly available
              databases are not categorized that way nor do they even contain that
              information. My client is actually going to a source (based on our category
              needs) to pre-populate our database with the data that we need, specific
              only to our category, and then I'm creating a registration form for those
              companies who are not already in our database.

              I think these two services do this publicly:

              http://terraserver.microsoft.com/default.aspx

              http://geocoder.us/

              King Wilder

              Gizmo BeachR

              king@...

              www.gizmobeach.com

              626 351-4334

              _____

              Have you ever seen a web service exposed to the public that does this?
              (method 1) If there is and online access is pretty assured, that would
              be the way I would go. Let someone else store the data...

              > From: SQLQueriesNoCode@ <mailto:SQLQueriesNoCode%40yahoogroups.com>
              yahoogroups.com

            • Michael Weiss
              Message 6 of 22 , Jan 29, 2007
                Sorry if this is getting off topic but could you provide a link to the
                C# code source you found? Thank you!

                Michael

                _____

                * http://geocoder.us/ <http://geocoder.us/>
                * http://www.melissadata.com/lookups/index.htm
                <http://www.melissadata.com/lookups/index.htm>
                * http://search.cpan.org/~sderle/Geo-Coder-US/
                <http://search.cpan.org/~sderle/Geo-Coder-US/>
                * http://terraserver.microsoft.com/default.aspx
                <http://terraserver.microsoft.com/default.aspx>

                The above are primarily sources for retrieving point locations based on
                zip
                code queries. There are other sources that can give you the actual
                longitude and latitude of any location based on your zip code + 4.

                I was able to download free code (for my ASP.NET C# app) that can handle
                the
                calculation. I'm glad SQLQueriesNoCode is available, it always helps me.

                Thanks,

                King Wilder

                Gizmo BeachR

                king@... <mailto:king%40gizmobeach.com>

                www.gizmobeach.com

                626 351-4334

                _____

                From: SQLQueriesNoCode@yahoogroups.com

                http://thequeue. <http://thequeue.net/blog/ <http://thequeue.net/blog/>

              • srussell@lotmate.com
                Message 7 of 22 , Jan 29, 2007
                  > John,
                  >

                  > Thanks, this is a great resource and a great price.
                  >

                  > What is this al-ge-bra you speak of? Is this a new programming language?
                  > ;^)
                  >

                  > My need was to compute a given radius from the provided zip code. I found
                  > some free functions and calculations on the Internet that will help me do
                  > with easily and some other references by another SQLQueriesNoCode member.

                  Did you just have to generate a list of zipcodes+4 that were 5 miles away,
                  or did you need to just list zipcodes?
                • King Wilder
                  Message 8 of 22 , Jan 29, 2007
                    The former.

                    I need to generate a list of all companies whose zip code falls within a
                    given radius of the supplied zip code. Kind of like what MapQuest does when
                    you enter say, "Radio Shack" and your zip code. It will give you all the
                    Radio Shacks closest to you, out. But mine would stop at 5 miles, 10 miles,
                    etc.

                    King Wilder

                    Gizmo BeachR

                    king@...

                    www.gizmobeach.com

                    626 351-4334

                    _____

                    Message 9 of 22 , Jan 29, 2007
                      Micheal,

                      Here is the link to the C# code for the zip code distance calculator.

                      http://geocoder.us/help/csharp.shtml

                      It works with the geocoder implementation. Go back to the home page
                      http://geocoder.us <http://geocoder.us/> to find out more about this free
                      service.

                      I hope this helps.

                      King Wilder

                      Gizmo BeachR

                      king@...

                      www.gizmobeach.com

                      626 351-4334

                      _____

                      From: SQLQueriesNoCode@ <mailto:SQLQueriesNoCode%40yahoogroups.com>
                      yahoogroups.com
                      yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of King Wilder
                      Sent: Friday, January 26, 2007 1:59 PM
                      To: SQLQueriesNoCode@ <mailto:SQLQueriesNoCode%40yahoogroups.com>
                      yahoogroups.com

                      Jeffrey,

                      Thanks for the info. Those are a couple resources I didn't find and they
                      are just what I'm looking for.

                      I also did a lot of research and found some good (free) sources:

                      * http://geocoder. <http://geocoder.us/> us/ <http://geocoder.
                      <http://geocoder.us/> us/>
                      * http://www.melissad <http://www.melissadata.com/lookups/index.htm>
                      ata.com/lookups/index.htm
                      <http://www.melissad <http://www.melissadata.com/lookups/index.htm>
                      ata.com/lookups/index.htm>
                      * http://search. <http://search.cpan.org/~sderle/Geo-Coder-US/>
                      cpan.org/~sderle/Geo-Coder-US/
                      <http://search. <http://search.cpan.org/~sderle/Geo-Coder-US/>
                      cpan.org/~sderle/Geo-Coder-US/>
                      * http://terraserver. <http://terraserver.microsoft.com/default.aspx>
                      microsoft.com/default.aspx

                      From: SQLQueriesNoCode@ <mailto:SQLQueriesNoCode%40yahoogroups.com>
                      yahoogroups.com
                      <mailto:SQLQueriesNoCode%40yahoogroups.com>
                      [mailto:SQLQueriesNoCode@ <mailto:SQLQueriesNoCode%40yahoogroups.com>
                      yahoogroups.com
                      <mailto:SQLQueriesNoCode%40yahoogroups.com>

                      http://www.cryptnet <http://www.cryptnet
                      <http://www.cryptnet.net/fsp/zipdy/> .net/fsp/zipdy/
                      <http://www.cryptnet <http://www.cryptnet.net/fsp/zipdy/> .net/fsp/zipdy/> >
                      .net/fsp/zipdy/ has
                      a text file with zipcodes and
                      coordinates.
                      it also seems to have the data associated with option #3, not sure how
                      big
                      it is. it's for postgreSQL but who cares right, you should be able to
                      import it.

                      On 1/26/07, Jeffrey Schoolcraft <jeffrey.schoolcraft
                      <mailto:jeffrey.schoolcraft%40gmail.com> @...> wrote:

                      > 3. have a table with zipstart,zipfinish,distance (big table)
                      >
                      > On 1/26/07, Jeffrey Schoolcraft <jeffrey.schoolcraft
                      <mailto:jeffrey.schoolcraft%40gmail.com> @... > wrote:

                      > > 1. call out to a third party webservice that does this for you
                      > > 2. store more zipcode data (with lat, long, city, state and get
                      ready
                      > > for some math)
                      > >
                      > > http://www.weberdev <http://www.weberdev
                      <http://www.weberdev.com/get_example-4131.html> .com/get_example-4131.html
                      <http://www.weberdev <http://www.weberdev.com/get_example-4131.html>
                      .com/get_example-4131.html> >

                      <http://thequeue. <http://thequeue.net/blog/> net/blog/> > net/blog/

                      Message 10 of 22 , Jan 30, 2007
                        I don't think Mapquest and Google use zip codes for their 'find
                        something within 10 miles of me' searches. Zip Codes are far too
                        inaccurate for that. Remember a zip code Longitude and Latitude is going
                        to be the post office for that zip code. I live several miles from my
                        post office, right on the edge of the zip code. It is such that I
                        actually use a different post office (zip code) then mine due to it
                        being closer. Google can still find the pizza hut within 5 miles of me,
                        not based on my zip, but on my address, they have the approximate long
                        and lat of my street address. They use that. That's another reason why I
                        would look for a web service, accurate data would be hard to gather
                        Google and Mapquest have the space and computer power to manage the
                        data, I don't and don't want to have it. Pull up your address in Google
                        maps, you can see they show you your long and lat, scroll on over to
                        your post office and note the long and lat. What you might do is see
                        what Garmin or TomTom those kind of gadgets use for their data grid they
                        over lay with the GPS data. The data they use must be available
                        somewhere, I'm sure these people did not send teams out with GPS gadgets
                        to record all this data.

                        Message 11 of 22 , Jan 30, 2007
                          > I don't think Mapquest and Google use zip codes for their 'find
                          > something within 10 miles of me' searches. Zip Codes are far too
                          > inaccurate for that. Remember a zip code Longitude and Latitude is going
                          > to be the post office for that zip code. I live several miles from my
                          > post office, right on the edge of the zip code. It is such that I
                          > actually use a different post office (zip code) then mine due to it
                          > being closer. Google can still find the pizza hut within 5 miles of me,
                          > not based on my zip, but on my address, they have the approximate long
                          > and lat of my street address. They use that.

                          I agree and just got my PO site moved +8 miles from closest PO to my
                          house. :(

                          > That's another reason why I
                          > would look for a web service,

                          I'd look for a WS to update lat & lon per address in the table.

                          Now back to what are you trying achieve. If you could get a lat & lon per
                          zip+4 then you are closer to getting success with LESS MATH in a lookup.
                          Are you trying to find the people to send a pizza coupon to for home
                          delivery, or are you defining what store location a customer will find
                          closer?

                          One churns lots of results and the other is much smaller.

                          Now the hard point is getting the lat and lon per address. If you are
                          doing it off of web service requests it's going to take a long time. You
                          might be better served with local utility data as a starting point if your
                          looking at small city based outputs for a % of your total data.
                          Message 12 of 22 , Jan 30, 2007
                            You've confused me with the original poster. BTW zip +4 isn't going to
                            be the answer either. +4 is based on carrier/sorter information and has
                            to do with his route and not so much geography as we are talking about
                            in this discussion. By chance a lot of the +4s like in your neighborhood
                            would work, many others would not. You can have multiple +4 zips within
                            the same building and yet +4s within a few numbers of each other can be
                            rather distant from each other. And of course each PO box will have it's
                            own +4. Some colleges will have a dedicated 5 digit zip code and no
                            meaningful +4 component as an example of how meaningless for this task a
                            plus 4 list would be.

                            I still think for a 'find a business within' search a database such as
                            google's or garmin's would be the way to go. The trick here is where did
                            garmin get their data? I have no idea other then the Government.

                            Message 13 of 22 , Jan 30, 2007
                              Stephen,

                              I found a few resources where I can retrieve longitude and latitude for a
                              given address via a free web service. So I wouldn't need the WS for long
                              running applications. Just when I need to add a new address.

                              I'm told that we will be purchasing a database with the records we need
                              initially that will contain longitude and latitude for each address. Then I
                              can query my own database for the results I need.

                              King Wilder

                              Gizmo BeachR

                              king@...

                              www.gizmobeach.com

                              626 351-4334

                              _____

                              Message 14 of 22 , Jan 30, 2007
                                John,

                                You're right, they don't use zip codes to find the results, but for the
                                database query, they do use what ever part of the address they can,
                                including the zip code to get the starting point long/lat coordinates. Then
                                they work from there only on longitude and latitude coordinates.

                                For the category of information we would be storing, we wouldn't have the
                                volume of data like Google or MapQuest, so there isn't a problem there.
                                There would probably be less than 200,000 records.

                                King Wilder

                                Gizmo BeachR

                                king@...

                                www.gizmobeach.com

                                626 351-4334

                                _____

                                Message 15 of 22 , Jan 30, 2007
                                  > Stephen,
                                  >

                                  > I found a few resources where I can retrieve longitude and latitude for a
                                  > given address via a free web service. So I wouldn't need the WS for long
                                  > running applications. Just when I need to add a new address.
                                  >

                                  > I'm told that we will be purchasing a database with the records we need
                                  > initially that will contain longitude and latitude for each address. Then
                                  > can query my own database for the results I need.

                                  Great. You just have to remember that the math per row to determine who
                                  of your data is x miles from this lat & lon will take server resources.
                                  (TIME)

                                  Good luck.
                                  Message 16 of 22 , Jan 30, 2007
                                    Could you post the url of the web service for lon and lat of addresses?

                                  • King Wilder
                                    Message 17 of 22 , Jan 30, 2007
                                      John,

                                      Here are two services that I found: