RE: [SQLQueriesNoCode] Data Transfer 2

    Message 1 of 8 , Nov 15, 2006
      Don't triggers impose a performance price in a busy primary system here
      re the data entry?

    • chels
      Message 2 of 8 , Nov 15, 2006
        Hi Robert,

        Replication is a server level configuration which requires few
        additional objects to be created on the source server like Publisher,
        Distributer, Replication Monitor, Agent, Numerous system stored
        procedures etc..

        The point which I wanted to make is, the task on hand doesn't require a
        replication setup as it involves only one table and both the servers
        are within the same domain.

        I should have mentioned it as overhead instead of performance :)
        As mentioned above the replication configuration as a whole will occupy
        certain memory space on the server. Whenever you do the complete
        snap-shot of the article the source table will be locked by the
        replication process.

        Tomorrow if a column needs to be added / dropped from the published
        table, it should not be done thry QA or EM directly as it will not get
        reflected at the subscriber.

        As far the new ROWGUIDCOL column is concerned there will not be any
        issues unless you are using the table in some other application which
        is not aware of the newly added column.

        Hope it clarifies your query.

        Regards,
        Elan.

        --- robert sackey <papsac@...> wrote:

        > Hi Elan,
        >
        > I will be very grateful if you could explain your pint further for
        > me.In terms of performance, what are the likely problems. Also with
        > th new column that is generated,what are the likely problems that it
        > can pose to my database performance.
        >
        > thanks

        Sponsored Link

        Mortgage rates near 39yr lows.
        $310k for $999/mo. Calculate new payment!
        www.LowerMyBills.com/lre
      • chels
        Message 3 of 8 , Nov 16, 2006
          Trigger might impose a performance price if it has a complex business
          logic in it. But in this case its just gonna insert a track record. So
          it wont be major as compared to any other alternatives.

          Regards,
          Elan.

          http://new.mail.yahoo.com