4924RE: [SQLQueriesNoCode] Magic Numbers for NULL and Identity Fields

    Aug 14 12:39 AM

      I have encountered sequences in Oracle and the headaches they can cause (and am glad I mainly work in the SQL Server side of the business). If they are so wedded to Oracle practices, why are they moving off? I know this is not your call but they need a ‘talking to’ that square pegs do not fit in round holes. This may have been the way in Oracle but SQL Server is not Oracle. I do not think there is a good solution to this problem for you other than to ‘recreate’ the Sequence logic in Oracle and good luck with that one. I have a system that has to interface with Oracle (we sort of exchange data) and to manage an alpha/number column on my side I ended up with a nasty little trigger to create some sequences but I typically on my side have to deal with 10 or 20 thousand rows per 24 hour cycle so the performance isn’t an issue. Doesn’t SQL Server 2012 have a Sequence structure now? I have not used it (my older system is 2008R2) but this might be a solution or at least worth investigating.

      John Warner

      From: SQLQueriesNoCode@yahoogroups.com [mailto:SQLQueriesNoCode@yahoogroups.com]
      Sent: Wednesday, August 13, 2014 6:11 AM
      To: SQLQueriesNoCode@yahoogroups.com
      Subject: Re: [SQLQueriesNoCode] Magic Numbers for NULL and Identity Fields

      In Oracle Sequences can be NULLs in a few edge cases.

      Apparently they had been using that for some scenarios then a "best practice" document forbid that.

      The Oracle people had used NULLs in sequences as well by utilizing the edge cases that made it happen.

      On Wed, Aug 13, 2014 at 4:02 AM, 'John Warner' john@... [SQLQueriesNoCode] <SQLQueriesNoCode@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

      I must be missing something here, an Identity column should never have nulls so you would never need to insert 999,999 into it?

      John Warner